• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 trans mechanics

Jc cooper

Second gear fun!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
Anyone in Houston Texas , know a quality, experienced a833 Trans Guy ?

What do you need to know ? I'm not a "pro" but I've rebuilt them.

I just got done rebuilding mine this weekend. Second gear would grind going in and pop out on decel. I had never been in a transmission before so I thought it would be more difficult than it was. Now I have a smooth as silk trans and the confidence to fix it again if anything goes wrong. If you have basic mechanical know how and a free weekend you can most likely fix the issue you're having yourself.

Anyone in Houston Texas , know a quality, experienced a833 Trans Guy ?
I have rebuilt over 35 of these for my cars, friends cars, and units I have sold to the public. I have the 833 posted for sale on this site. Any questions are welcome. Thanks

I have rebuilt over 35 of these for my cars, friends cars, and units I have sold to the public. I have the 833 posted for sale on this site. Any questions are welcome. Thanks
Thanks for your reply, my car is a nice cruiser, with 440 and a 833 od , purchased from longtime, shop , owner died , and business closed , it functions perfectly up and down shifts , but rattles in 4th od , changed gear oil , from light to heavy gear gls-4 worse , any ideas !

Thanks for your reply, my car is a nice cruiser, with 440 and a 833 od , purchased from longtime, shop , owner died , and business closed , it functions perfectly up and down shifts , but rattles in 4th od , changed gear oil , from light to heavy gear gls-4 worse , any ideas !
You may have an issue with the countergear shaft. The OD units used a floating design countershaft. By design,of all the gears in the trans, the OD gear puts the most load on that shaft. OD trannys are notorious for wearing out the bearing needles on the countershaft. I suspect that this your problem

Auto Transport Service
Back