AC car to heat only

1971 - 1974 Mopars

1. Grant Ratchet

Grant Ratchet Member

Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    I have posted a question on this a few months ago but not sure what the simplest thing to do is now. My 72 Charger was an original air car and now has no compressor or vacuum lines. I have an aftermarket heater bypass valve, (https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/all-years/dodge/charger/parts/?q=mb184518). Is there a way just to run the blower fan and not hook up the vacuum lines on the ac/heater box control?

Otherwise I have been told I needed to get a non AC heater box and control, not really wanting to do that.

Thanks

2. Tim Chavez

Tim Chavez Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    I’ll be frank with you, I don’t know if something special has to be done but I know it can be done... mine was factory AC but compressor and lines were removed (so they could install the ramcharger hood) I still have the ac hvac controls and heat works fine. On the “cold setting” it just acts as a fan.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Car #4

Car #4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:48 PM
      I have a 74 Challenger that was originally an A/C car. A/C system was removed and I'm still running the original heater box. We made no changes to anything other than to remove the A/C equipment under the hood.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I imagine you will need vacuum to operate the air doors in the heater housing-heat/defrost, etc.
        Mike

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • hanks73340

hanks73340 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          Personally, I'd get the A/C put back in and enjoy it on those hot summer days you folks get in that state.

• Agree Agree x 1
          1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.