• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC fan clutch?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
I have a 360 sb in my ‘70 Belvedere that once again has working AC. Was having some minor overheating during Power Tour in the long lines (with AC off). I have a stiff aftermarket fan with non AC style cheap ($35) fan clutch. Is the $230 cost of an “AC” fan clutch (year one) justifiable and will it help or should I just go with a flex fan? I really don’t want to go electric fan.
Second issue I have is the fan blade is not centered in the shroud (sideways or up and down). Shouldn’t it be? My hunch is the shroud may be from another car. I do have the 26” radiator. Should this car have an 18” or 19” fan? Thanks for any input.

I’d get the Hayden 2947 fan clutch, 18 inch and run it. The fan will favor the pass side.

Stay away from any type flex fan. And if you will not head the warnning check the blades often.

I’d get the Hayden 2947 fan clutch, 18 inch and run it. The fan will favor the pass side.
Even inside the shroud itself?

After taking some measurements, the proposed 2497 fan clutch will be 1” off the radiator and the fan about 1 1/2” off the radiator. My current set up is 3/4” closer to the radiator than these measurements. The 2497 will put the fan blades half way into the shroud. Does that sound right? Currently when at Operating temp my setup isn’t pulling much air at all thru the condenser.

That’ll work.

Update. Bought and installed the 2497 fan clutch and WOW! Before it ran 195 at idle. Tonight in Florida it’s still 85. Ran it for 20 min with ac on and never got past 181. Wish I had asked before Power Tour. Ugh. Thanks 5.7 hemi! Would have never thought moving 3/4” away from radiator would improve this much. I’m sure it’s due to moving more air outside the shroud.

Uneducated guess, but fan all the way in the shroud may just be moving air around, half in - half out pulls air out of shroud allowing more flow thru the radiator.

Glad it worked out and now you can cruise/burn tires!

Auto Transport Service
Back