• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC heater boxes the same from 1966-1970?

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
I'm converting my 66 Coronet to AC when I do the build. I have access to a 1968 Charger AC heater box. I have a really nice and complete 66 Coronet AC dash assembly. Will the 68 charger heater box bolt in and connect with the 66 Coronet dash AC & heater controls?

I can also go with the Classic Ind. AC system if I need to. If I go with Classic, do I need the factory AC heater box?

Thanks, snook

Will the 68 charger heater box bolt in and connect with the 66 Coronet dash AC & heater controls?

I can also go with the Classic Ind. AC system if I need to. If I go with Classic, do I need the factory AC heater box?

Thanks, snook

Short answer: No and No

The AC and non AC firewalls are slightly different on 66-70 B bodies (others as well)
You would need to redrill/cut the openings in the firewall to put factory AC in a factory non AC car.

I know 66-67 heater boxes are slightly different than 68-70 boxes. Not 100% sure about the AC boxes. I suspect they are though.

Classic and other aftermarket companies have their own unique heater/AC box.

Either look for a 66-67 factory AC setup, or go with the classic. Either way it will be expensive.
With the aftermarket setup you get a fresh guaranteed to work kit. With the factory setup, the chances of finding a complete set up ready to bolt in are pretty slim these days.

If you are not worried about originality, go with Classic Air.

Looks like Classic is the way I should go as I don't care about originality.

Thanks (big time), snook

I'm not familiar with the Classic Ind. box, but many of the aftermarket ( non-factory ) boxes do not have fresh air like the originals. Some aftermarket ones force you to block the opening. If the controls work and everything is rebuilt to good condition, it is a good system. It is well designed by 60's standards.

The biggest trick with swapping 66-70 factory stuff is the box mount pattern and condensate drains matching the firewall holes. I believe the heat control valve changed a bit, but it mounts independently of the box.

Auto Transport Service
Back