• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accel position

snake

Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
Can the Accel coil go in the same spot as my org or does it have to be straight up.360 is what I am working.

I dont see why not in the same place.

If it's oil filled. It's best to have the coil straight up as the oil can leak out.

If it's oil filled. It's best to have the coil straight up as the oil can leak out.
arent the original coils oiled filled?

P1020784.JPG

Coils can leak the oil out but it is generally not too much of an issue.

It's a 8140 new.just want to be shure

Thankssss ,I don't realy want to hack my harness.just to move it say firewall.

Note that since the coil is oil-filled, best position is verical mounting if feasible...

Just my $0.02...

Snake - try to mount the coil as vertical as possible.
Mine is on a bit of an angle because the wires going to it are a bit tight.
A small block is going in this car.
1674474606076.png

Yes they did - but the factory didn't care if the coil crapped out whenever.

Being oil filled - when you lay it on it's side, the area at the top along the whole length of the coil is now exposed with no oil.
Vertically mounted, there is also a small amount exposed at the top, but the area of that vs the area along the length of the coil is much smaller.

Besides, on a small block it was placed at the back of the engine and the air cleaner covered a portion of it.
That's alot of heat soak when a hot engine is turned off vs it sitting in the engine bay with more air around it.

My preference is to mount them vertically and get them off the engine. Your preference may differ...

I did not have to to anything to my wiring harness, there should be enough wire there.
Mine is tight as I used an existing hole in the firewall to mount it - I can always lower it if need be.

Ideally the coil should be up front next to the horn on the passenger inner fender, that way it will have a stream of air coming from the fan.

Yes they did - but the factory didn't care if the coil crapped out whenever.

Being oil filled - when you lay it on it's side, the area at the top along the whole length of the coil is now exposed with no oil.
Vertically mounted, there is also a small amount exposed at the top, but the area of that vs the area along the length of the coil is much smaller.

Besides, on a small block it was placed at the back of the engine and the air cleaner covered a portion of it.
That's alot of heat soak when a hot engine is turned off vs it sitting in the engine bay with more air around it.

My preference is to mount them vertically and get them off the engine. Your preference may differ...

I did not have to to anything to my wiring harness, there should be enough wire there.
Mine is tight as I used an existing hole in the firewall to mount it - I can always lower it if need be.

Ideally the coil should be up front next to the horn on the passenger inner fender, that way it will have a stream of air coming from the fan.
Well now you got me thinking I have a SB 360

I've had a super coil in my charger for over 30 years and about 50,000 miles.
Mounted in the factory location.

Auto Transport Service
Back