• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Access hole for fuel pump push rod

eric383

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I have a 383 shortblock that I wanted to remove the pipe plug to pull the fuel pump pushrod out and inspect/measure it. Well the plug is boogered up and my hex key won't work on it. Before I drill this plug out and possibly have to Heli-coil the threads are there any other opinions on how to approach this. Thanks in advance.

I'm not aware of a pipe thread helicoil. So....... Weld up the hole in the plug, weld a flat washer to the full plug and weld a nut to the washer...........remove the plug with a socket or wrench that fits the welded on nut.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anytime I can use my MIG is great.

I drill a 5/16" to 3/8" hole, and use a short extractor from Matco. I use a 1/2" breaker bar for better torque and leverage, and they come out easy a pie.

TIP: Whenever you want to take out a pipe plug, use the breaker bar or impact (with the proper allen socket) in the tighten direction for a smidge to break it loose, then reverse, and it will come right out.

Heat the plug with a torch,then melt a candle on the plug. Hammer a torx driver in the allen hex and unscrew it with a ratchet.

I thought about that. A T55 is about the right size. Thanks.

If all else fails use a left hand drill bit. Not a joke. Turning the bit CCW will likely grab the soft material and unscrew the plug. Get the largest bit you can without wiping out the threads.

Thanks Meep, I have some left hand bits and was thinking about this option as well.

Ok, so I know you have been waiting to know which method I used. Because I like welding and didn't have to buy anything I used IQ52's suggestion. I'm sure the heat from welding helped also. An air ratchet on the nut and it came out like butter. Thanks guys.

Hey. I know it’s an old old thread but maybe I’ll get an answer. I Right in the same situation other than my plug is still ok but I just can’t find a right Allen key that fits . 8mm is too small and 9mm too big . 5/16 too small and 3/8 too big . Is there anything like in between like 11:32? Because my sets just jump from 5/16 to 3/8….

Hey. I know it’s an old old thread but maybe I’ll get an answer. I Right in the same situation other than my plug is still ok but I just can’t find a right Allen key that fits . 8mm is too small and 9mm too big . 5/16 too small and 3/8 too big . Is there anything like in between like 11:32? Because my sets just jump from 5/16 to 3/8….
The hex is probably worn causing the 8mm (5/16") to be too loose.
If you have a spare 9mm you could grind it down to make it fit, ensure it goes all the way in to reduce the chances of rounding it.
I always keep any allen key's that come in kits and stuff for this purpose, if you f*ck em up they can go straight to the bin. :)

Had a oil gallery plug same thing guy hammered in a Torx socket, came out then.

Auto Transport Service
Back