• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Accidents' while on a hunting trip?

Yes he has! I remember it being touch and go for awhile. He came to grips with things and never looked back!

Not a hunting accident.

When I was 12 my mate and I were building a shotgun out of 2 steel pipes. I rammed the percussion of the shell too hard and the whole thing backfired. Plenty of small shrapnel in my hand that had to be removed in the emergency room, no facial injuries just burnt hair. I still have a piece of metal shrapnel in my left middle finger. It lit up on X-Ray when I recently broke my hand.

Spotlighting for rabbits (legal then),
3 in the cab of a '65 Ford Pickup.
The guy in the middle was tasked
with holding on to two .22 rifles and
a 12 GA. He managed to get the bolt
of one the .22's stuck in the trigger
guard of the 12 GA.
BOOOM!!!!
6" hole thru the cab roof and blew
the spotlight to kingdom come,
couldn't hear very well for about three
days.
Been paranoid about using the safety
switch ever since.
(P.S....the shotgun wasn't mine).

Last edited:
Here in more recent times I'll go out into an 880 acre tree farm to check on hog traps with my brother in law. Man, those things can tear up some land! His friend owns it and my BIL goes out there to check on things when his friend is out of town on business etc. Nice thing about that place is there's not supposed to be anyone else out there even though they have caught a few and those guys get turned over to the sheriff.

I think what soured me on hunting is I know two people who got killed while out hunting. First time happened in the late 60's while hunting deer. Dad ended up shooting his son who was about 12 or 13 but don't know the particulars of what happened. They lived down the street when I was about 17 and I knew them fairly well since his sister had a crush on me so there was some interaction with the family. Not long after that happened the family moved away. I'm still in contact with the one that survived it but not that close these days.

Another one involves the son shooting his dad in a duck blind. The dad was a co-worker that I hired in with in 1980. He was a fellow Mopar guy and had a 70 Challenger RT SE. The car was fairly quick with a mild 383 and a small shot of the funny gas. I know the particulars on what happened on that fateful day....

Had a buddy flip his F250 4x4 on the side
going someplace he knew he shouldn't

had a guy highsided a Quad,
mess his ankle up pretty good, but nothing really bad
but;
it was out in the middle of nowhere when I lived in Alaska
Moose hunting in Hatchers Pass

nothing gun-related

Not hunting, but;
my dad shot a hole thru the floor in our place with a
Ruger .22 magnum,
while teaching me & another brother, at like 8-10 years old 'gun safety'
he was extremely embarrassed, rightly so
he was aware of 'where the barrel was aiming at all times',
loaded or not, you treat it as if it is'

he did hammer that point home, literally
Thank God

I won't ever let him live it down either,
needle him at times, all in fun

Last edited:
Many years ago at a typical Maine hunting camp with about 10 people staying there, we all were off hunting our preferred areas in the big woods. 5 of us had gone about 10 miles from camp and hunting this place we called Buffalo. Since Buffalo stream ran through this area we felt the name was perfect.

We were about done for the morning and all trying to get back to the truck, I heard a distant shot and we all contacted each other by radio and determined it wasn’t one of us. A few moments later a car with 2 flat tires, leaking oil came pulling up to John, Jeff and Bruce in our group. One the guys had accidentally shot his buddy in the leg as they were walking in the woods. He had a Winchester model 94 and wasn’t familiar. Went to click hammer back after loading in the that wonderful safety position and it slipped discharging the weapon. John, the older brother in our group grabbed the kid and got him into the back of his pickup truck and off the went for the hospital. We were about 40+ miles away from any hospital! Two others in our group went along to help.

Now, I could see all this happening but was too far down the road to help at all. I was just getting out of the wooded patch. They took off and left 2 of us. That wa kind of too bad, I was the only one out there with advanced first aid trying. However, the guys that went with him did a great job and handled the situation like pro’s! After realizing we were all by ourselves, we thought under those circumstances, we were perfectly fine with that. As we finally got to the area where they had transferred vehicles, we saw the amount of blood in the road. I knew from radio contact that they were leaving with a gunshot wound victim, but right then I knew it was bad. That amount of blood loss, it had to hit the femoral artery! I tried to reach them on the radio to tell them a tourniquet was probably in order but they were already out of range.

We had lots of daylight and 10 miles to walk and hunt. We were later picked up and given a ride back to camp.

If it were not for John driving those woods roads as much as he did and as well(fast), that kid would have bled out for sure. Bruce and Jeff help with first aid and pressure to keep the bleeding under control. No question the action of those 3 saved the life of this hunter.

It’s still a story we talk about today! Things can happen so quickly to the inexperienced and the pro’s too!

Here‘s an article that came out a bit ago about it.
30 years ago, he was shot while deer hunting in Maine. It changed his life forever.
A good friend of mine’s father lost his leg in a hunting accident but I never got the details other than he got shot.

My father used to tell a story of him taking a leak while hunting. Another hunter took a shot from across a field and the bullet went between my father’s legs. I not sure if it was true or not but he said that he shot back.

My best friend and I while we're in high school we're out quail hunting like we did every day we could. We weren't using a dog because we couldn't afford one. I was about 30ft to the left of Mike when we walked past a small brush pile. We got about 3 steps past the brush and a large covey took off in between us then made a hard left. Mike's shotgun followed and on his last shot he hit me. I took 9 pellets on my shoulder and back side of my arm. Burned like crazy, it could have been worse.

Ok I‘ve got one - back in my earlier post I talked about our camps being safety first, stupid didn’t play, very little drinking etc etc. all absolutely true. However back when younger in MN my buddy’s dad owned a farm up North. A bunch of us would go up there and raise hell and have fun. Well one of the most “fun” things we did was get out our shotguns and literally shoot at each other. I clearly remember a few of us took aim and blew one guy off of the motorcycLe he was joy riding around the land on. There were more then a few of us with shot in our backs or elsewhere on the body. Nobody ever really got hurt - but define stupid and we personified the word. We did this often - 18, 19 years old. When I go back up to Mpls for a visit, poker games often bring up that stuff. We just shake our heads in wonderment on how the heck we ever survived those teen years. Wow we did some really stupid things….. But it sure as hell was fun….

Ok I‘ve got one - back in my earlier post I talked about our camps being safety first, stupid didn’t play, very little drinking etc etc. all absolutely true. However back when younger in MN my buddy’s dad owned a farm up North. A bunch of us would go up there and raise hell and have fun. Well one of the most “fun” things we did was get out our shotguns and literally shoot at each other. I clearly remember a few of us took aim and blew one guy off of the motorcycLe he was joy riding around the land on. There were more than a few of us with shot in our backs or elsewhere on the body. Nobody ever really got hurt - but define stupid and we personified the word. We did this often - 18, 19 years old. When I go back up to Mpls for a visit, poker games often bring up that stuff. We just shake our heads in wonderment on how the heck we ever survived those teen years. Wow we did some really stupid things….. But it sure as hell was fun….
When I was between about 12 and sixteen or so we used to play war with pellet and BB guns. The carved in stone rules were “no shots to the face or balls”. Back then (early to mid ‘70’s) literally every kid knew about guns so nobody shot if they were too close, and everyone followed the “face and balls” rule. Nobody ever got hurt, but damn those things stung if you were wearing tight jeans and got shot on the thigh or butt cheek. A shot to the knuckles would hurt, also.

Auto Transport Service
Back