• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adapting fuel lines and tanks to fuel injection

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:49 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to be schooled in Fuel Injection, and I'd like some advice.

I am going to add a throttle body FI system to my Road Runner. (It has to be a throttle body unit because I need a low profile manifold to keep my Air Grabber setup.)

First, from looking in the archives, it doesn't seem like anyone makes a drop in sender that has an in-tank fuel pump. I just bought a new tank recently (and I put fuel in it), so I am not sure I can modify it. I am assuming I need to use an external pump but appreciate any suggestions.

My other question involves the fuel supply and return. My car has a 5/16' vapor return line (it is a CA car). Do you think I can adapt this to return fuel or is it too small? Also, if I add a 3/8" line for the supply, do you think I can use that?

Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

I've been working on this exact conversion. To answer your specific questions, look at Aeromotive's "Stealth" in-tank fuel pump system. In-tank is always a better and more durable setup than an external pump (quieter, runs cooler). Your 3/8 supply line will be fine, as will the 5/16 return. You will DEFINITELY want to buy a new tank to install the Aeromotive Stealth pickup in, if you go that route. I was contemplating using my old tank, but when I saw the instructions called for cutting a 3 1/4" hole in the tank, I reconsidered and bought a new one to modify. Glad I did, lots of sparks while cutting into the tank with a hole saw. I bent some 3/8 hard lines to supply the EFI system. Unfortunately I cannot report on the results, as I am waiting on my crate motor to arrive before installing it all.

Thanks for the responses. I saw kb67's build. He's got mad building skills that I don't - so I think his level of modification is out of the question for me.

SAC: A question for you, and sorry if I missed something... So I looked up the "Stealth" in-tank fuel pump system. I see the pump, but maybe I missed the way it installs. Does it install through the original sender hole or do you need to make another? It sounds like from your description you need to drill a 3 1/4" hole - is this enlarging the existing hole?

Hawk,
I was in error with the name of the Aeromotive product, it is the "Phantom", p/n 18688, not the "Stealth". The pump and baffle assembly have to be oriented in a vertical fashion and the instructions are very specific about where and how the pump assembly can be mouonted. I included a picture of the installation into my '72 Charger's fuel tank. I was originally trying to keep this project low-buck, but as always, things have snowballed and if I had to do it over I would have just gone with a fabricated, baffled aluminum tank like cdr's (a thing of beauty, by the way). The only problem I have with the Phantom system is the way that the pump output "Hat" sits above the tank, It will hit the bottom of the trunk, and I will have to lengthen the mounting straps to get it to fit. IMG_1448.jpg

Hawk,
I was in error with the name of the Aeromotive product, it is the "Phantom", p/n 18688, not the "Stealth". The pump and baffle assembly have to be oriented in a vertical fashion and the instructions are very specific about where and how the pump assembly can be mouonted. I included a picture of the installation into my '72 Charger's fuel tank. I was originally trying to keep this project low-buck, but as always, things have snowballed and if I had to do it over I would have just gone with a fabricated, baffled aluminum tank like cdr's (a thing of beauty, by the way). The only problem I have with the Phantom system is the way that the pump output "Hat" sits above the tank, It will hit the bottom of the trunk, and I will have to lengthen the mounting straps to get it to fit.

LOL. Talk about snowballing out of control! I just ordered almost $2900 worth of metal for my car. OUCH!

Thanks for the picture and additional information - that is really helpful. I would have the same problem with the "hat" hitting my trunk floor. I guess I have to compare the cost of a custom tank vs. the exterior pump and make a decision. I have to start cutting costs somewhere...

Appreciate the help!

Auto Transport Service
Back