• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adapting late mode remote hood and trunk release to 68-70 B-Bodes

Remote Hood/Trunk Release in 70 and earlier B-Bodies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
Adapting late model remote hood and trunk release to 68-70 B-Bodes

Never attempted a Poll before so added it to this one to check it out

Any body done this on a 68-70 B-Body / have some pics / share some tips and pictures?

ebay trunk release

FABO post of using Diplomat stuff for trunklid 1

FABO post of using Diplomat stuff for trunklid and later A body stuff for hood 2

Pics from 2nd forum post

I just installed a `74 Duster inside hood release on my `68 Barracuda. And while I was at it, I installed a power trunk release from a Dodge Diplomat.
OP was FASTBACK340

Barracuda367-vi.jpg

Barracuda369-vi.jpg

Barracuda371-vi.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Folks I may have been a little too playful with the poll options. 3 isn't going to offend me ... really it's just meant to mean it's not something your are going to do or need to do as in "my ride rarely get's out of my sight". I intend to drive mine as much as possible and may almost daily driver it in nice weather if I can and feel a little uncomfortable leaving it for hours while at work or elsewhere with the hood easily opened so I plan on putting the remote hood release on and came across the FABO post that included the remote trunk release, which BTW I've gotten to like on my newer car.

Last edited:
will do TallHair.... the E-bay one trunk release looks to be a bolt in unit that can be easily adapted & wired in to a simple switch, it's not a bad idea... I personally wouldn't have a need for the hood release, I have a A12 Lift Off...LOL...

will do TallHair.... the E-bay one trunk release looks to be a bolt in unit that can be easily adapted & wired in to a simple switch, it's not a bad idea... I personally wouldn't have a need for the hood release, I have a A12 Lift Off...LOL...

Thanks Budnicks and appreciate the feedback.

I have the diplomat trunk latch on my 66 coronet with a pushbutton under the dash.

Thanks Daredevil. How did you route the wiring from the latch and what did you hook into for power?

I have the diplomat trunk latch on my 66 coronet with a pushbutton under the dash.

me too i put them in most of my cars and they are easy to find

along with my usb I-pod jack and duel power out let plugs , power window switches and fan on/off toggle switch . All in the console

Attachments

• console rewire turnk & light 011.JPG
    console rewire turnk & light 011.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 230
Thanks Moparstu. Looking forward to more feedback from folks who've done this conversion posting some "how I did it responses" and/or those that want too to do it asking questions.

C'mon folks show some photos of your B-Body set-ups. I'd like to see some photo's and hear the tale of how you routed the wiring, connected it, what you used for source, fusible links a good idea?, etc on the trunk releases. Especially on a 70 Road Runner or 68 Coronet or another car that had the trunk locking mechanism on the tail panel instead of the trunk lid. Seems like it would be easy to tie the wiring into the the tail light wiring harness as far as routing the wires and making it look "factory-ish".

Also curious for some tips on the remote hood release, what was donor car, bracket mods required, and mods to hood etc. Would you need to remove the stock hood release level to keep it from being opened from outside? Any pitfalls to avoid?

with my luck & skill I would hit the lights and the trunk would open!
I have little patience for some things, I admire you guys that do.

Thanks Sonny

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who voted and those that commented.. you can see the results up top but 13 were interested in knowing more, 4 have done one or both already, and 6 folks who don't have need for any number of reasons. As I said above it was an exercise for me to test/use the voting feature and to try to get some more info, suggestions, pictures of B-Bodies (thanks Stu) and I took a playful approach to wording the options to hopefully make it fun for you guys. 23 Votes overall was a cool showing and I appreciate each and every one one of you who took the time to vote and those who took the time to comment.

I plan to do the remote hood release myself and I'm thinking I'll do the trunk also ... thinking just one less way to scratch the paint (putting keys near the paint) and it will be cool to pop the trunk remotely while the wife goes to get me another beer at the car shows or where ever LOL so I may try to find some info on use remote key fob deal for door/trunk lock too.

Auto Transport Service
Back