• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adaptor needed

fmahannah

1963 Dodge Polara Max Wedge Tribute
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
I bought a Holley 12-840 fuel pressure regulator to use for testing excess fuel pressure. It has 3/8 NPT on all three ports.

My max wedge has metal fuel lines coming from the mechanical pump and from the brass tee that are all 1/4 npt male flared fittings.

Don't laugh as I'm no fuel line plumber and I can't seem to find any adaptors to allow connecting the 1/4 npt male flares to the holley 3/8 npt female ports? I found reducers but nothing that would accept the flared fittings. Looked online and at three local auto parts stores. One did have the opposite of what I needed.

I'd prefer to keep the factory fuel line setup as much as possible, but if I have to I would have to start at the fuel pump itself and redo everything with AN fittings and maybe braided line.

Can anyone steer me to adaptors that can take a 1/4 flared male npt fitting and let it connect to a 3/8 NPT non flared hole in the regulator?

Thanks!

Can you post any pics of where you'd like to plumb it in ? It may yield some ideas for you.

This is the current system. Metal line on left is from carter mech pump, brass tee fitting, then one line to each carb with their own filters. From brass tee are two short metal lines one straight one 90 with hose barbs. I have not looked but suspect the carter fuel pump is also a 1/4 npt flared connector.

Just pulled off a line and what looked brown as varnish just ran back out of the carb on drivers side. This is with both carbs cleaned and rebuilt, so either I screwed up buying some really bad premuim gas at a station I am not familiar with (had no choice), OR the dealer and previous owner failed to mention the car just came out of storage after a long period of time and they did not clean and flush the fuel system.

81534288.jpg

Could you possibly replace the brass Tee, with a 4-way, and tap the FP gauge right up front ? May take some searching for it, but you may only need an adapter for gauge ?

If you are needing to connect 1/4" male NPT to 3/8" female NPT(?) all you need is a bushing.
Mike

1/4" sounds pretty small; are you sure your fuel lines to carbs are not 5 /16" ?

Automotive flare fittings don't use NPT. If your fuel lines are 5/16", which they look like, then you need 5/16 inverted flare to 3/8 male NPT adaptors, which are fairly common.

The lines at the tee are 5/16 inverted flare not npt. You could but another stock tee and drill it for 1/8 npt and install a gauge. I assume you want to keep it original so why not just get a piece of hose and some fittings for a test gauge and install it between the tee and filter. Once you are happy with the pressures just remove it and go back to stock.

You are having trouble locating because you are not asking for what you need with correct terminology

1/4" sounds pretty small; are you sure your fuel lines to carbs are not 5 /16" ?
FUel lines are all 5/16, but the steel flared size is 1/4 npt . I have bushings that are 1/4 to 3/8 npt and they fit, but no flare so no seal

Like I said I am not familair with fuel line plumbing so not sure what to look for.

I bought these and they fit the 3/8 pressure regulator side and the falred fittings on the stock setup work but since fitting is not flared they don't seal

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all99031

Automotive flare fittings don't use NPT. If your fuel lines are 5/16", which they look like, then you need 5/16 inverted flare to 3/8 male NPT adaptors, which are fairly common.

Tha explains why I could not find anything for 1/4. Thanks!

The thread on a 5/16" flare nut is a 1/2" NF bolt thread. It will rattle into a female 1/4" NPT fitting, but it doesn't fit right. For automotive inverted flare fittings and adaptors it is the tubing size that you go by.

The lines at the tee are 5/16 inverted flare not npt.
FUel lines are all 5/16, but the steel flared size is 1/4 npt . I have bushings that are 1/4 to 3/8 npt and they fit, but no flare so no seal
Wrong. NPT is a tapered pipe thread. The inverted flare nuts are not NPT they are a straight thread just like a bolt. The thread count will vary by size.

Google 7815 weatherhead it may be what you are looking for

I bought a Holley 12-840 fuel pressure regulator to use for testing excess fuel pressure. It has 3/8 NPT on all three ports.

My max wedge has metal fuel lines coming from the mechanical pump and from the brass tee that are all 1/4 npt male flared fittings.

Don't laugh as I'm no fuel line plumber and I can't seem to find any adaptors to allow connecting the 1/4 npt male flares to the holley 3/8 npt female ports? I found reducers but nothing that would accept the flared fittings. Looked online and at three local auto parts stores. One did have the opposite of what I needed.

I'd prefer to keep the factory fuel line setup as much as possible, but if I have to I would have to start at the fuel pump itself and redo everything with AN fittings and maybe braided line.

Can anyone steer me to adaptors that can take a 1/4 flared male npt fitting and let it connect to a 3/8 NPT non flared hole in the regulator?

Thanks!
This fitting is 3/8 npt male to 5/16 female inverted flare. Industry standard BF56 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-bf56

Auto Transport Service
Back