• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding Retrofit A/C

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone here added a Classic Auto Air or similar a/c kit to their 1962 car? What kit did you go with? Was it complete?

I'd be happy with a unit that bolts on below the dash and keep the factory heater box as direct replacement units are not made.

Back in 2012 I had a local hotrod shop install a Vintage Air Unit in my 63 Fury convertible. They completely removed the stock heater box and built a custom bracket to mount the compressor low on the driver's side. They used a GEN IV MAGNUM, model # 671400-VUZ. They cut the dash to mount the control panel ( #491210-RUA) and mounted the vents below the dash in the center and on the left and right sides. My car is a restomod and I'm not at all bothered by originality.
After 8 years and many hot summers and miles, I have nothing bad to say about the Vintage Air unit. It works great, even in a drop top, and I've had no problems with it.
DSCN2309.JPG
DSCN2311.JPG
DSCN2211.JPG

I don't have a 62 but have installed several Classic A/A without issue...my only recommendation is that you get servos for controls...So much better than the old vacuum actuated solenoids.

I just mocked up my Vintage air Mark IV under dash unit in my 64' Polara. Discovered that i really couldn't center the unit under the dash because it would shroud the gas pedal and i don't need to get my big dumb foot stuck between the two. My 64' has a center console also that was relocated about 2 1/2" rearward along with the bucket seats. Even with that ,it's a tight fit due to the Mark IV hanging down ( it's as tight against the dash as it can go . I centered the left side vent over the center console and much to my surprise it looks pretty good that way.Sorry, no pictures dash is currently out of car.

Last edited:
Mark ... I put a Vintage Air unit into my old 71 Datsun SW ... you should have no issue getting one to fit in your 62. Of course there will always be little issues to overcome. I would remove the heater box as most units have the heater built into them. Also, I have a V/A Super Cooler mock up unit if you'd like to borrow it.

Last edited:
I installed a Classic Auto Air in my 1964 Sport Fury, the only problem was the compressor. The mounting hardware is all for 1966 and later. The engine sits back about 2 to 2 1/2 inches 66 and later. Good luck!

Installing a Vintage Air unit in 62-65 B bodies is pretty straight forward. Requires a little fabrication when it comes to mounting brackets for the unit itself but that isn't difficult. Everything else is just a bolt on really. Here's the unit mounted on the passenger's side of my '64 Polara.

IMG_5538.JPG

Picked up this condenser on E-bay brand new for $50.

IMG_5760a.JPG

I modified my dash to allow for the vents but you can mount them under the dash without any mods if you want.

IMG_5920a.JPG

Used a low mount bracket for the compressor to keep it out of the way. Not using power steering so I had the room.

IMG_5924a.JPG

Mounted the dryer on the passenger's side of the radiator support and ran the lines to the evaporator down the passenger's side fender.

IMG_5766a.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back