• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adj shock starting point?

wedge5

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
I am getting ready to put single adjustable rear shocks on my drag car only. Was wondering what my starting point should be. Max tight setting or loose and adjust until I find the best 60' times?

Front suspension: 90/10 Calverts and 318 t bars. Rear suspension: SS springs(in board), Dana w/4:56 & 10.5w slicks
Drive train: 727 w/4800 stall, engine dyno numbers 685hp @5900 & 696tq @4600.
Car is approx 3600lbs w/ me. Looking for 10.30 range.

Last edited:
hit and miss question there bud, what shocks? are they calverts? didn't know calverts made shocks, what do they recommend?

Calverts make front and rear shocks but I am not going with there rear shocks. I am looking at the Afco rear single adjustable shocks. Good suggestion though, I will get a hold of Afco to see what they have to say.

Afco are good shocks, i believe if you go to there website they have a full tech section, that will give you some pointers

This isn't drag racing experience I'm drawing from, but engineering instead . That said, is start in the middle. Then race it and decide which way to go, and instead of adjusting in tiny increments each run, adjust to the middle between where you were and the limit. After another run, decide which way to go and cut the difference in half again.

Making adjustments to any single dimension in a system in this way cuts a ton of time (and expense in many cases).

Auto Transport Service
Back