• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable rockers on 440

Jc cooper

Second gear fun!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have issues using comp cam ductile iron adjustable rockers on hydraulic xe274 h cam kit forged piston closed chamber heads being extra noisy

They should not me noisy with hydraulic lifters. You have them set too loose?

Had mine a few years now with no issues or noise.

Ill bet its the **** comp lifters that are the issue not your rockers

Comp Cam ductile iron rockers or Crane ductile rockers? I didn't know Comp made iron rockers.

Comp Cam ductile iron rockers or Crane ductile rockers? I didn't know Comp made iron rockers.

Agree... Comp makes roller rockers but no Ductile Iron... Crane/Isky/Sig Erson & OE Early Max Wedge & Long Ram rockers are where ductile rockers come from..

Agree... Comp makes roller rockers but no Ductile Iron... Crane/Isky/Sig Erson & OE Early Max Wedge & Long Ram rockers are where ductile rockers come from..

The only reason I mentioned it was that I and @Glenwood got recent sets that wore at the tips. And since then they have been discontinued.

Anyone have issues using comp cam ductile iron adjustable rockers on hydraulic xe274 h cam kit forged piston closed chamber heads being extra noisy

I bought the xe262 kit. {Stock shaft mount rockers} my lifters are noisy , Ive check push rods, pulled the intake and took a couple lifters apart to look for crud, fillings, none found. the only thing that seemed to help was switching from 15-40 oil to 10 - 30 the thinner oil seemed to help a little, but they still rattle. I just got used to it , couple thousand miles on the set now no problems.
Last set of comp lifters I will buy though.

My XE cam is a little noisier than what I think it should be. I’ve heard a couple of other XE cams that have the same noise. Setting the rockers a little tighter helped quiet them a little. It could be that the faster opening and closing rates of these cams are part of the reason.

I ran Iskys with the 268 Comp and their lifters, noisy Yup. went to stock stamped and still noisy. X2 on never again using Comp lifters. Just got home from a 1700 mile trip and noisy all the way at idle mostly. Could not really hear it at 80 MPH speeds. The Iskys are on the shelf with the smith bros push rods for another iron head project.

Ok guys your right not ductile pro magnums by bad

Not enough information to give you a competent answer.

What part number lifters are you using? What preload are you using. Are these aluminum or iron closed chamber heads.

When a fast rate hydraulic cam slaps the lifter to 0.050" and back again in 44° or less, it'll probably make valve train noise.

I just let everyone think my engines got a solid lifter cam ........chic a chic a

Anyone have issues using comp cam ductile iron adjustable rockers on hydraulic xe274 hl cam kit forged piston closed chamber heads being extra noisy

Just my experience, yes, most camshaft with fast ramp-rates will be noisy due to the lobe design. I ran the XE 285 HL camshaft in my old RB years ago with Crane / Isky ductile iron rockers, it was a sewing machine. Comp uses symmetrical lobes for these grinds, meaning the opening & closing events of the valves occur with a similar intensity. Not great for wear, less than 1,000 street miles and it already had significant wear on the lobes.

The late Harold Brookshire [Ultradyne / Bullet Racing Cams / Lunati Voodoo series] created many of his camshafts with asymmetrical lobes. Meaning, while they do have relatively fast ramp-rates [intensity] like the above, they have a near OEM ramp-rate when the valve actually closes [low wear & low noise]. You don't even hear the valvetrain in my 470" low-deck with a 259/267* @ .050 solid-lifter camshaft with .606" lift.

Last edited:
like what you are saying
but I'll have to check the comp lobe catalog- I though they showed different MI - Intensities for open and close
great tip
thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back