• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable strut rods thoughts worth the money

Tintoy35

Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
Do adjustable strut rods help with 60 ft? 64 b body stock front end. Just wondering how much they will help if any. Are they worth the money? Looking for opinions. Thanks

Last edited:
They make the car easier and more consistent staging and
reaction times but I do not see much difference in 60 ft.
Perhaps a slight amount more consistent since you may be
a bit more exact in your staging.

Spindle stagger? You can move one wheel a tad further forward than the other to gain more 'roll out' in the starting beams....if something like that might help. Any time you can start moving before the green comes on is usually a plus. Never done one like that but have heard of others doing it.

If you use good polyurethane bushings they don't move around. I use those along with poly lower bushings and heim outer tie rods for bump steer corection. It does have chrome moly tube strut rods (less weight) with the factory ends welded into the tubing. The rest is stock parts. I've installed the fancy stuff for a few guys. I don't see much benefit vs cost.
Doug

If you use good polyurethane bushings they don't move around. I use those along with poly lower bushings and heim outer tie rods for bump steer corection. It does have chrome moly tube strut rods (less weight) with the factory ends welded into the tubing. The rest is stock parts. I've installed the fancy stuff for a few guys. I don't see much benefit vs cost.
Doug
Doug
T
Do adjustable strut rods help with 60 ft? 64 b body stock front end. Just wondering how much they will help if any. Looking for opinions. Thanks

Do adjustable strut rods help with 60 ft? 64 b body stock front end. Just wondering how much they will help if any. Are they worth the money? Looking for opinions. Thanks

Thanks for the information.

Heres a sample. Track was better on Sunday's 2 runs. I deep staged on run #10. It would've been 1.24X 60ft.
Doug

Screenshot 2022-07-11 085427.png

Last edited:
IMO the weight loss is worth it,
the precision adjustability is worth it
fine-tuning the suspension never hurts either

don't be cheap, the cost vs doing stock heavy ****
& adj. alum. strut rods isn't in the scheme of thing very much $$$

if your running a 11-12 second car, maybe upto 120mph
I'd say 'go the poly route & call it good'
when you start going 8's or 7's @ 150-180+ precise is what you want
adjt. doesn't hurt either, weight savings off the front end doesn't hurt either
every lil' bit adds up, not just that one part, the whole package

one or a couple of ol' guys experience, doesn't tell the whole story

people tend 'to be cheapasses' when it comes to suspension
spend 10's of thousands on a stroker & special engine or trans & converter
but don't do **** to the suspension or cheap out when it comes to suspensions

& there's lots of hearsay out there, 2nd hand information

as far as the 60's that a product of the cars set up more than
'just a strut rod', that 1 item will make lil' to no difference if any

opinions will vary
that's mine, not up for debate

Last edited:
I used RMS strut rods. They have heim joints at the K frame. I felt like it made the front end rise easier. If you start adjusting the length too much you could put the lower control arm bushings into a bind which defeats the purpose.

I use the RMS rods too and I like the firm and responsive handling they provide. I just needed new bushings and I just bought these for ease of installation and I was surprised at how much better my braking was as well.

Gus

A couple more observations. Changing the length of the strut rod raises/lowers the steering arm attachment for the outer tie rod. This can drasticly affect bump steer. With the set I just installed last week, two turns of adjustment was worth close to 1" in toe change from full rise to ride height. Two years ago I watched a mid 9 second Challenger doing a burnout at Dragway 42. It came out of the box at a 45 degree angle and stopped. I looked at the front tire as it backed up. Wobbling all over the place. The culprit? Broken aluminum strut rod. I dont know why it broke. But It did. I know the racer personally. His car is pretty well maintained.
Doug

A couple more observations. Changing the length of the strut rod raises/lowers the steering arm attachment for the outer tie rod. This can drasticly affect bump steer. With the set I just installed last week, two turns of adjustment was worth close to 1" in toe change from full rise to ride height. Two years ago I watched a mid 9 second Challenger doing a burnout at Dragway 42. It came out of the box at a 45 degree angle and stopped. I looked at the front tire as it backed up. Wobbling all over the place. The culprit? Broken aluminum strut rod. I dont know why it broke. But It did. I know the racer personally. His car is pretty well maintained.
Doug
Was the aluminum strut rod a forged piece or billet?

Don't know what type or brand it was. Just that it was aluminum. A lot of people try to reinvent the wheel. The stock stuff is pretty good when it's in good condition.
Doug

Yeah I'm not a big fan of aluminum suspension components. My RMS rods are light CM tubing.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back