• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting rear brakes when the drums have no adjusting hole?

Malicious

Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, probably stupid question,

Looking to adjust the rear brake drum that I've rebuilt mainly so I can get the parking brake working again, the brake system isn't all together yet - no master or prop valve in etc.

Anyhow, the brake drums have no hole for adjusting so.. what the f$&@? Do I have the wrong drums? the drums came with the car. Or is there a way to adjust the brakes with the drum off?

I read you can measure the inside diameter of the drum, then wind out the shoes. But they also said you need to do the final adjustment with the shoe on, which I can't do.

Any help would be golden. Apologies if this is an incredibly stupid question.

Cheers!

The backing plate is what has the access slots to the adjuster, not the drums......

The backing plate is what has the access slots to the adjuster, not the drums......

X2.

Here is a picture for reference - not the greatest, but hopefully gives you an idea. In the picture, at the lower point of the backing plate there are two slots - one has a dust cover (the one towards the front) and the other (partially obscured by the axle bolt) is open.

20111122_1082.jpg

let's add a little pointer . . .

X2.

Here is a picture for reference - not the greatest, but hopefully gives you an idea. In the picture, at the lower point of the backing plate there are two slots - one has a dust cover (the one towards the front) and the other (partially obscured by the axle bolt) is open.

Added a quick pointer to the picture . . .

backingplate.jpg

Once to car is on the road. If the adjusters are installed correctly, you can shift her in reverse, back up in an open clear lot or street and slam on the brakes, pull forward and repeat.

Once to car is on the road. If the adjusters are installed correctly, you can shift her in reverse, back up in an open clear lot or street and slam on the brakes, pull forward and repeat.

Depends on the car and the year. Many of the older cars do not have automatic adjusters...

Shouldn't have to slam on em. Normal backing/stopping should keep them adjusted. On some cars I took the adjusters off because they stayed too tight for my liking and my backing is generally pretty slow and use light pedal pressure.

Argh, I knew I was going to look like an idiot... Again. It's my first set of drums, I've really only dealt with the drum park brakes on disc cars. Not sure if it's all but the ones I did went through the front...

Thanks everyone for helping out a noob.

Depends on the car and the year. Many of the older cars do not have automatic adjusters...

hsorman is correct, the '70 shop manual for my road runner shows both types of adjusters. My car uses manual adjusters.

Argh, I knew I was going to look like an idiot... Again. It's my first set of drums, I've really only dealt with the drum park brakes on disc cars. Not sure if it's all but the ones I did went through the front...

That's what it is all about! We ALL have to learn!

The pre 69 cars with automatic adjusters were troublesome so most people got rid of them. The 69 and up adjusters work much better and do not over adjust. I always replace the manual adjusters with the newer style and have never had a problem with them again.

We all go through a learning curve. I have very little patience with computer work. I hate having to mess with them when I'm thinking my car needs attention and knowing what I do to it works lol

The pre 69 cars with automatic adjusters were troublesome so most people got rid of them. The 69 and up adjusters work much better and do not over adjust. I always replace the manual adjusters with the newer style and have never had a problem with them again.
Had an 87 Shadow that ate up the rear shoes pretty fast until I took the self adjusters off of it. Once the pedal was going about 1/3rd or so of the way down, I'd adjust them and rotate tires.

This is on a 68 Coronet - 10' drums, having said that I could say that is its original to the car. What the difference between the >68 and 69+ adjusters? Is it possible to swap over to the 69+ self adjustors?

I have been considering upgrading to 11" drums or disc's eventually, but I want to get her on road to enjoy first! the 10"s will do me fine for a while.

This is on a 68 Coronet - 10' drums, having said that I could say that is its original to the car. What the difference between the >68 and 69+ adjusters? Is it possible to swap over to the 69+ self adjustors?

I have been considering upgrading to 11" drums or disc's eventually, but I want to get her on road to enjoy first! the 10"s will do me fine for a while.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rear-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae1a4524f

This is what you need for 10" adjusters if your car don't have them

just doing the brakes on my 66 charger. not sure if the adjusters are factory but they were on it. 10 x 2 1/2 on all corners.100_0550.jpg100_0551.jpg

just doing the brakes on my 66 charger. not sure if the adjusters are factory but they were on it. 10 x 2 1/2 on all cornersView attachment 227223

That is most likely what he has, and those are automatic adjusters. Obviously the back brake's are going to look a bit different with the parking brake hardware, but the adjuster clip/lanyard and star adjuster should be the same.

Most of the cars we are working on have automatic adjusters..... '66-'74

Auto Transport Service
Back