• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting the hood hinges

Paul_G

Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
I have a new pair of hood hinges on the 73. They came from Classic Industries. Cant seem to get the hood to sit right and close correctly at the same time, and when it does the hood comes down to far forward to line up on the hood pins. I have to push the hood back to line up the hood pins before I latch it all the way down.

What is the secret to getting the hinges adjusted correctly?

You had hood pins first, then changed the hinges? I'd say the pin adjustment should be last. Remove the pins, line up the hood side to side/front back. Setting correctly at close depends on the hood bumpers at the corners and fenders.

Alot going on with hood hinges, meaning there is a lot of adjustment and on top of that is the fenders themselves which the hinges are bolted to. Normally, yo would get the fenders aligned with the gaps set, then you would add the hinges and adjust the hood and lastly you would add the pins. Not sure if these are stock pins (not sure if that was an open in 73) or aftermarket, but I would suspect they are more of your problem.

I should make a video of what it is doing. I had the hood pins off during the hinge adjustment to make it easier. The hood pins are original. As I bring the hood down, when just above the pins making contact, which dont line up at all at this point, the rear of the hood is high and forward too much. I have to manually push the hood toward the windsheild, and it will move back a little, the pins then line up at that point and I bring the hood down all the way. Once down it fits just right. Pins line up and the back of the hood is aligned nice with the fenders.

It has been a royal PITA.

Sound to me like the hinges are too high in the back. guess you could say angled forward. This will cause the back of the hood to stay high as it goes down. Its pretty hard to explain adjusting them as it is really a hands on thing. The one thing I would tell you is that if you have been at this for awhile and its not working out, remove the hood, readjust the hinges so that they are exactly the same in height and location, then put the hood back on and start again. As I am sure you know, it is hard as hell to get a precise adjustment once the hood is on.

Auto Transport Service
Back