• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Admission of inadequacy from brand "X"

And a 340 Dart should have whooped up on him.Most likely atleast 1000 lbs difference in weight plus i think those 348s and 409s were boat anchors.

And a 340 Dart should have whooped up on him.Most likely atleast 1000 lbs difference in weight plus i think those 348s and 409s were boat anchors.

No way there was a 1000 pounds difference unless the Dart was striped down.

If fact they probably were withing 200 or less pounds of each other

Tallhair... a little of track here... Yeah one of my many different cars, I had a home built Pro Street 55 Bel-Air HT street/strip car, back in the 80's, with an aluminum headed BBC, 4-core alum. rad., all sst AN lines & hoses, with dual electric fans, electric water pump drive, 2 x Holley 4500 4bbls on a tunnel-ram, PG & Dana 60, big old 18x33 M/T, stock modified frame, ladder-bars & coil overs, full steel body & full steel floor/tubs, heavy 70 Camaro Bucket seats, 20-gal fuel-cell, dual BG pumps, regulators & filters with dual #12AN sst lines & 2 #12 return lines, dual group 27 battery's & boxes in the trunk, w/2 - N20 bottles/systems, it only weighed just about 3200lbs, even with a 8pt 1-3/4" mild steel 0.120" wall cage, full interior, sound deadening, carpet, except no back seat etc., even with all the bells & whistles, they aren't as heavy as some might think, they are...

I just responded to that thread. My response should stand out equally well. lol

Ok i just checked but still 500 lbs difference

Did you include the weight of the 409 or a 260 or 6 banger?

- - - Updated - - -

Tallhair... a little of track here... Yeah one of my many different cars, I had a home built Pro Street 55 Bel-Air HT street/strip car, back in the 80's, with an aluminum headed BBC, 4-core alum. rad., all sst AN lines & hoses, with dual electric fans, electric water pump drive, 2 x Holley 4500 4bbls on a tunnel-ram, PG & Dana 60, big old 18x33 M/T, stock modified frame, ladder-bars & coil overs, full steel body & full steel floor/tubs, heavy 70 Camaro Bucket seats, 20-gal fuel-cell, dual BG pumps, regulators & filters with dual #12AN sst lines & 2 #12 return lines, dual group 27 battery's & boxes in the trunk, w/2 - N20 bottles/systems, it only weighed just about 3200lbs, even with a 8pt 1-3/4" mild steel 0.120" wall cage, full interior, sound deadening, carpet, except no back seat etc., even with all the bells & whistles, they aren't as heavy as some might think, they are...

Were you the driver in two lane blacktop?

- - - Updated - - -

I just responded to that thread. My response should stand out equally well. lol

yeah it stands out all right

RRR response.jpg

Were you the driver in two lane blacktop?

...NO !! mine would have ate that ugly/slow 55 up & spit it out the tailpipes big time...LOL... so would have my Pro Street 49 Ford Business Coupe too... cool movie thou, different but cool, as long as you don't mind the lack of any good acting... well Warren Oats, the driver of the GTO Judge, he can act a little...

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been on Jalopy Journal in years now... I like it here, much better !!

Heck, a 13.50 318 Demon would have set him off I think lol

...NO !! mine would have ate that ugly/slow 55 up & spit it out the tailpipes big time...LOL... so would have my Pro Street 49 Ford Business Coupe too... cool movie thou, different but cool, as long as you don't mind the lack of any good acting... well Warren Oats, the driver of the GTO Judge, he can act a little...

I know Wilson and Taylor weren't real actors but I still like the movie since it seems evocative of the era esp with them in it as the hippy's and I've always loved Warren Oates .. he was also perfect IMHO

I don't get the joke here? he's asking for opinions on a 409 build and getting help and some one references a 340 duster once and then what?? Other than being directed to a chevy site...oh is that the joke? I don't get it going back to sleep now...

The guy that referenced the 340 car is a Chevy guy and the 340 giving the big block Cheby a hard time. I guess that's the intent. Also, even tho that site has a lot of Chevy guys on it, it also has a lot of Ford and Mopar guys on it and they/we all get along. It's one of the very few mixed brand sites that do that. I've been a member there for awhile...

>>>>all you are saying...is give peace a chance....

There was a time when you spent the whole week waiting for Friday night...because you were gonna cruise the Renton loop. All the hot cars were there. And many of the hot women. You tuned the car all week, washed it right when you got home Friday night and off you went. You hung out that evening in some parking lot waiting for the action to start, downing a coke and burger, sizing up the competition. Smoking cigarettes to calm your nerves. In those days you wore your car Brand Loyalty on your sleeve. You hung out with like minded guys from Your Brand. You knew all the regulars. Kehai's(a Hawaiian dude) black '66 Nova - he had a hot 327 in it. That orange Road Runner - sure it had 383 call outs, but you knew it had a 440 in it. And your buddies '68 Mustang had a 418ci FE in it with Tripower. You sized up the competition and paired up as the night went on to test your limits. The really hot cars - yeah those guys never opened their hood. They wouldn't race just anybody either...they had to think you had a chance of beating them. No races with the stock SS396s for them....

And back in that day, nobody would ever admit being taken by another Brand. I mean NOBODY. And to admit a small block Other Brand beat your 409 Big Block hero?!? You might as well have admitted to having 1 ball sack and 3 nipples.

Sure, we've all grown more mature with time. We can accept variety. Appreciate and own other brands. Maybe even mixed brands. And I certainly cruise that other site (that's how I found that little jewel of a post). I appreciate the craftsmanship.

But the 19 year old in me says: yeah baby...340 just beat the man's Big Block. :naka: I guess you had to be there.

>>>>
But the 19 year old in me says: yeah baby...340 just beat the man's Big Block. :naka: I guess you had to be there.

Interesting thread, but it really doesn't mean anything. Soon as you brag that you beat a big block with your small block, the next 100 small and big block cars will blow your doors off. Bragging rights on the street are very short lived...taught me to be humble. lol

Yeah, I was into all that too. Even had a girl friend tell me that I talked cars too much so I told her there's one thing that would shut me up.....and she knew what I meant and shut me up! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back