• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advance Auto Parts Taking over Pep Boys that are Closing

It blames Covid, but they never came back completely from the Crash of '07

Pep boys near me never had many customers to start with....plus they didn't have what I was looking for and from what I remember, what I was looking for should have been kept in stock at all times. Don't remember what it was but remember thinking 'what kind of part store doesn't carry this' and well, never went back.

One of my dividend reinvestment plans was with Pep Boys. They were sold to Bridgestone from some holding company about three years ago. In the USA Bridgestone operates as Firestone Auto Care and the plan I read was Pep Boys would convert to Firestone Auto Care shops. I think the plan is to divest the parts business and focus on tires and auto service under the firestone name.

One of my dividend reinvestment plans was with Pep Boys. They were sold to Bridgestone from some holding company about three years ago. In the USA Bridgestone operates as Firestone Auto Care and the plan I read was Pep Boys would convert to Firestone Auto Care shops. I think the plan is to divest the parts business and focus on tires and auto service under the firestone name.
The first time I went into a Pep Boys was probably 20 years ago and wasn't impressed or even satisfied with their service. There just wasn't any and then when I grabbed a hold of someone that worked there, I got some customer service....but didn't have what I needed. Hope your DRIP does well for you.

Actually my plan/stock was purchased by Bridgestone. I got a fair return on my investment, but nothing big.

That is incorrect. The purchase by Bridgestone never took place. Instead Icahn Enterprises bought it. Remember the name Icahn?

That is incorrect. The purchase by Bridgestone never took place. Instead Icahn Enterprises bought it. Remember the name Icahn?
The check I received was from Bridgestone. Looking on line it seems you are correct about Icahn ownership. Funny even my wife says we got a check from Bridgestone. I stand corrected.

The Pep Boys location near me is my go to shop for things I can get off the shelf. They have a much better selection of fasteners, cleaning/detailing supplies, fluids, RTV's, etc. They even have a "Speed shop" section with an assortment of A/N fittings, tuning kits for edelbrock carbs, heat wrap, etc.

For stuff that you need the parts guy to look up and go "to the back" for, my local Napa is far better.

The check I received was from Bridgestone. Looking on line it seems you are correct about Icahn ownership. Funny even my wife says we got a check from Bridgestone. I stand corrected.
That is strange.
Btw, this came up a few months ago and Advance was going to run the parts side while Pep Boys would run the service side.

There's a large Pep Boys in the next city over.

They have a decent sized performance section but things are over priced vs Summit and Jegs.

They were the only place I could get my Ferrari spec oil without paying $20 a qt, however...

...the website listed a location closer to me as having it in stock, but that location turned out to be service only, no parts sales.
That should have been noted in the search results. Wasted a trip in the opposite direction.

I generally don't have problems with Discount/Advance. They also recently purchased the corporate owned CarQuest chain locations but they are continuing to operate them as separate entities.

Last edited:
Yep. The Advance near me closed and the Carquest around the corner from it stayed open. Odd, as the CQ is out of the way and Advance was on a main thoroughfare although if you were going east it was impossible to get in/out.
Then an Oreilly's opened a block east which was at one time the site of a Dodge dealership.

Making an adapter today, I needed the vehicle side of a trailer flat 4 plug. Fairly common item. Autozone is conveniently 3 blocks away, but they have to order it. Two stores in town, no plugs.

Pep Boys were coming to the town near me in '07, but never did. I would see their ads in Denver, they had some great deals on tires.

Lowes has a pretty good selection of trailer wiring.

So does O'Reilly's

Sometimes to get the car end, you have to buy an extension and cut it in half.

Already happened here in NJ, at least a couple of years ago, they divided the pep boys store on one side as Advance auto parts & the other side as the pep boys service area. I thought that was odd, why would they have a competitor adjacent to them selling parts ? Now, I know why from what I read here. Hey, the Advance parts store has good peanuts, snacks, and candy bars... not sure if they sell real auto parts, though.....

Already happened here in NJ, at least a couple of years ago, they divided the pep boys store on one side as Advance auto parts & the other side as the pep boys service area. I thought that was odd, why would they have a competitor adjacent to them selling parts ? Now, I know why from what I read here. Hey, the Advance parts store has good peanuts, snacks, and candy bars... not sure if they sell real auto parts, though.....
Advanced auto parts here has always sold decent parts imo but they are not as close to me as the other big box stores but go to them when the others don't have what I need. Most of the time I deal with O'Reilly's and they know I don't want crap from China :D and over the years, they have treated me decently. Still miss the independent owners before they bought out Hi-Low years ago. They were pretty good.....

Advance has gone downhill ever since they did the Car Quest Watusi. I used to buy alot of parts
from them using their promo codes, but they have raised their parts prices considerably compared
to everyone else. I have since shopped at Rock Auto, but now that all of the REAL auto parts stores
are out of business, I end up begging my friend that owns an auto repair shop to cut my rotors and
drums! Nothing out there but Whores!

Many Mo & Joe are all on govt. dole food-stamps
progressive & extended subsidized Unemployment now :poke:

Was since 1921, with 7,000 service bays,
(no idea how many employees)
with 700+ locations in 35 states & Puerto Rico
I assume a few of the employees will remain

Pep Boys weren't ever top tier parts or services
they were more like the Grand Auto,
Advanced Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly APs
Checkers Schucks & Kragens (an old sponsor of mine) etc.
bigger box chains style cheap/er (many foreign/Chinese) parts
&/or some service bays/lifts in many/most outlets

other than the actual service aspect, onsite techs
the www-online presence cut big into their parts end of sales

Last edited:
Our Pep Boys shut they store section over a year ago but kept the shop open. I noticed the store part was recently remodeled and now has a big Advanced sign on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back