• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed - electric fuel pump system for Carb

Dbl_R69

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
Hi Mopar fam! I'm looking to get some advice on a fuel system upgrade. Here's my current setup. I have a 69 Roadrunner with a street/strip (mostly street driven) 440 putting out around 600 hp with a 950 holley ultra double pumper (mechanical). fuel is ran from the stock tank with a stock 3/8" fuel sending unit, 3/8" line to a carter mechanical fuel pump (Strip Super pump M4862). Car runs great, However the mechanical fuel pump went out on me... 2nd one over the last 5 years, both for different reasons. Anyhow, I'm thinking of switching over to an electric fuel pump for quite a few other reasons along with not wanting to deal with the mechanical anymore.

I am new to all this electric fuel pump stuff, so bear with me lol. I was going to sump the original tank and run an external electric fuel pump with a regulator. My only thing with the external pumps is the noise... i cant stand it if I can hear it while the car is running. But i do understand a lot of that noise comes with how its mounted. I've also seen that they don't do too well in the heat... my summers are a constant 90-100 degrees and do plan to drive it to car shows.

I guess my questions for the external pumps is.... Are there any out there that are actually quiet? and, What is the best way to keep the pump cool if its outside of the tank?

which brings me to my next possible upgrade. Instead of an external pump, what about an In-tank fuel pump system? I don't know much about the in-tank fuel pump systems, however majority say they're for EFI. At this particular time I don't want to switch over to EFI and want to keep everything the same with just a fuel system upgrade.

So, are there any in-tank fuel pump systems out there that will work with a carb set up like mine?... If so, what is all needed to run a set up like that?

I'd love to hear what kind of electric fuel pump system you guys are running with your carbs. Thanks in advance for any advice and thanks for reading this long rant lol.

If you are that picky about noise you will always hear the external pump. But with 600 horses don't you have an exhaust that should cover it?! Just kidding. The pump should stay cool if you run a fuel return, dead-heading it will heat it up. For a nice clean install I'd say go with the in-tank.

I use a 225 lph Walbro inline pump for my 700 hp turbo jet boat. I'm in AZ with regular 110-120° days. You need a relay for the fuel pump, a filter between the tank and pump and one after the pump, a pressure regulator immediately after the carburetor, and a return line of the same size as the feed. My pump has lasted 6 yrs now and is very quiet. Unless you are sustaining 6k rpm for long periods of time, jet boats running up the river for a couple miles, 225 lph is plenty for 600 hp.

We spent the money and got the tank w the fuel pump in it. It looks like there are DIY in tank kits as well. Some saving going that direction. You will have to run new lines and a regulator to get it down to carb pressure since all the in tank pressures are for fuel injection.

If you are that picky about noise you will always hear the external pump. But with 600 horses don't you have an exhaust that should cover it?! Just kidding. The pump should stay cool if you run a fuel return, dead-heading it will heat it up. For a nice clean install I'd say go with the in-tank.

lol yea my exhaust will cover the sound, honesty it’s more of when it’s just at an idle. Though I have been in some cars where I can hear the buzzing while going down the road. But then again I might be a little picky here and over thinking it (which is a habit of mine lol).

Any suggestions on a good in tank system for a carb?

I use a 225 lph Walbro inline pump for my 700 hp turbo jet boat. I'm in AZ with regular 110-120° days. You need a relay for the fuel pump, a filter between the tank and pump and one after the pump, a pressure regulator immediately after the carburetor, and a return line of the same size as the feed. My pump has lasted 6 yrs now and is very quiet. Unless you are sustaining 6k rpm for long periods of time, jet boats running up the river for a couple miles, 225 lph is plenty for 600 hp.

when you say the pressure regulator immediately after the carb... do you mean run the feed line to the regulator pass the carb, placing the regulator further to the front of the car. Then bring the feed line back from the regulator to the carb? If that makes sense. Sorry I’m a little confuse by what you mean

We spent the money and got the tank w the fuel pump in it. It looks like there are DIY in tank kits as well. Some saving going that direction. You will have to run new lines and a regulator to get it down to carb pressure since all the in tank pressures are for fuel injection.

If you don’t mind could you give me a little more detail on your set up?.. which fuel tank/pump you went with along with what size lines and regulator to get it to work for your carb

when you say the pressure regulator immediately after the carb... do you mean run the feed line to the regulator pass the carb, placing the regulator further to the front of the car. Then bring the feed line back from the regulator to the carb? If that makes sense. Sorry I’m a little confuse by what you mean
I run my line from electric fuel pump to dual feed for carb, then out back of carb dual feed line to regulator then from regulator back to fuel tank. Set regulator at 5-6 psi.

Its all from summit.
Fuel tank from Tanks
255 walbro
Edelbrock adjustable regulator
Braided 1/2" line w 8an ends return and pressure...
I happen to have pictures. We looked at piecing it together and decided to do this for a couple hundred more..fuel injection maybe some day... feeding a holley 850race dp

20210315_145816.jpg 20210315_145902.jpg

Last edited:
Its all from summit.
Fuel tank from Tanks
255 walbro
Edelbrock adjustable regulator
Braided 1/2" line w 8an ends return and pressure...
I happen to have pictures. We looked at piecing it together and decided to do this for a couple hundred more..fuel injection maybe some day... feeding a holley 850race dp

View attachment 1084280 View attachment 1084281

looks like a nice set up you got there. Very interested in something like that. Is this the kit you have from summit?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-tcr9c-t-kit

Yep , I think its optional to upgrade the pump.

Looks like the kit on summit comes with the 255 walbro, which is what I would need. But I do see on tanks inc. website you can choose. I noticed on the kit, the mounting plate is a brass plate with brass NPT fittings, unlike your black one... maybe they changed it?

Also, you said you're running 8 AN ends with a 1/2" line. The kit says the mounting plate has a 1/4" NPT for supply and return lines. Is that the same as yours, but you attached 8 AN ends to the 1/4" NPT's so you can run your 1/2" braided line?

There is a fitting we used to adapt it from 1/4 to 8an. 8an was actually a little big, we ground the corners off the nut so we could tighten it. 6an is meant to go right on. Doing it again I would guess there is a better fitting to use to go 1/4 to a 6an w 1/2" line?..... But I haven't looked, it was simple enough to modify. We buzzed the corners off the fitting with a grinder so the 8an nut could turn.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the help. Both the Tanks inc. and the Aeromotive gen 2 look like a great set up. I think I’m now leaning towards dropping one of those two into the RR. It may cost a couple 100 extra $$$ but definitely seems worth it in the long run. Especially if I decide to switch to EFI down the line. And looks to be pretty much stress free being it’s near drop in ready, that’s a huge plus for me.

Thank you guys for the help. Both the Tanks inc. and the Aeromotive gen 2 look like a great set up. I think I’m now leaning towards dropping one of those two into the RR. It may cost a couple 100 extra $$$ but definitely seems worth it in the long run. Especially if I decide to switch to EFI down the line. And looks to be pretty much stress free being it’s near drop in ready, that’s a huge plus for me.
I was running a "high end" inline fuel pump on mine originally for EFI, it would overheat and shut off for over an hour sometimes here where it gets 120+. After the Aeromotive tank, no problems at all. If you have 3/8 steel line already from your tank, you can keep it and just connect from tank to it and from it to carb. Then follow it back w whatever 3/8 line you like for a return.

Auto Transport Service
Back