• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for choosing Replacement Radiator (70 Coronet R/T)

shanker

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I've got my 70 Coronet R/T that I want to go cruising in and the OEM radiator finally gave up the ghost.

I Don't have $1200 for a Glen Ray radiator and would rather just buy an aluminum radiator that can drop in and drive. My only requirements are:

1. No Modifications to the car
2. OEM Fan Shroud needs to bolt right on.

I think the Champion radiators won't work for me as there are no provisions for the factory fan shroud?

ECP radiators look like they'll work, but I'm not entirely sure.

I just lost my job last week and all I want to do is drive my car on the backroads as it always makes me feel better to do so. :)

70CoronetRadiator.jpg

Looks like you have a fairly original car there, don't mess it up now. Do as Jerry suggested and pull that radiator and get it recored / repaired. Had my 053 x 22" done for a messly $400 CDN and it's as good as new.

I bought this one from E-bay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/351583436713
Seems to work fine and looks somewhat original at a quick glance.
I wouldn't get too worried about putting in a "replacement" radiator.
Just clean up your original and store it carefully put a tag on it stating what it belongs to.
It can always be restored later and installed.
Not really a huge project.
Good luck buddy.:thumbsup:

Although I have not purchased one yet, I was planning on trying a cold case rad...... prices are reasonable (discount to members), they are a sponsors here, and I like the fact they use 1.25” cores. Like I said, I don’t have personal experience with their product yet, but from what I have read, I will be trying one soon.

would rather just buy an aluminum radiator that can drop in and drive.
View attachment 930666
Both the Champion and ECP are decent units. The Cold Case unit is a step up on capacity and I never saw any owner say they wished they had less capacity! lol. Anyway, the Cold Case and ECP have nice OEM style stamped tanks. The OEM shroud will fit on our unit nicely.

Cold Case is currently offering a special price to members and a factory rebate besides. PM sent.

Looks like you have a fairly original car there, don't mess it up now. Do as Jerry suggested and pull that radiator and get it recored / repaired. Had my 053 x 22" done for a messly $400 CDN and it's as good as new.

My 70 R/T is an un-restored driver. It's in pretty good shape and it's too fun to drive to tear apart for restoration. I lost my job last week due to the 'Rona & the price of oil/bbl (I work in the oil field). Normally I would do 100% OE Correct, but the current situation has me too scared to spend that much money.

Sorry, but I cannot recommend ECP.

If I had to do over again it would be Cold Case.

thankyou. what was wrong with the ECP in particular?
Contrary to what I was told, quite a bit of fab work was required for fitment. I know there are lots of people on FBBO that says different, but that was not my case.
Then about a month of ownership and it started leaking at the upper hose neck. ECP does not cover return shipping which would be $60. I had a local diesel participants filter rebuilder reweld the neck.
Cold Case for me from now on out.

Needed to drill shroud holes also.

20200402_192602.jpg 20180208_201621.jpg 20180208_201627.jpg

More fab work

20200402_192616.jpg

drilling holes for the fan shroud is a given for an aluminum radiator.....looks like I'll be ordering my Cold Case rad tomorrow.
I had to grind for fitment at the battery tray, and then down low on the passenger side to clear. One mounting hole was misdrilled and I had to elongate it more than I really wanted to, and the shroud barely fits.

Could you possibly find another used radiator even if it needs a different top hose and use it?

yes....and two weeks ago I would have dropped 1200 on a Glen Ray radiator without thinking twice...but as of yesterday I have no job....soooooo I'm going to go with something that works for now and save my OE radiator to be re-cored for later.

Auto Transport Service
Back