• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

advice on a camshaft.

ddpsnake

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a camshaft, my build with about 1000 miles.360 30 over 9 two to 1 pistons, 340 j heads 202 valve, edelbrock rpm performer, headers, 600 holley, stock convertor,323 sure-grip.my cam now is the comp 262, witch me and my engine builder say is small, also i have power brakes.my last 69 dart build had the 280-474 purple cam love it.want to keep thing simple, using all stock rockers.so whats your advice on what would give me more power, and decent driveabily.thanks .71 satellite.

Tell us:

What kind of power are you looking for or goal your trying to meet? Besides more power and drivability. Would it be more low end torque or more top end HP?
What transmission and is a converter change OK with you?
What tire size?
Is a gear swap coming?
Cars weight

If your staying w/ 3.23’s and a stock converter, your cam selection is limited. It would be hard to get a cam larger than 218@050 to work well.

Last edited:
well no gear change in mind 2800 stall ok with that 904 tranny 255 60 15 rear tire, i would like power from 2000 to 5500 if that make any sense.

Do you know your cranking compression and vacuum numbers as it sits?

I did leave that out, dang. The compression ratio would be good to know. Cranking compression is also good but can be effected by the cam a little bit.

This would be more “Next Step up” cam.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-711451-08/make/plymouth
If you have a few bucks, spring for a roller rocker set at a 1.6 ratio in an effort to take advantage of the heads better flowing capabilities over the stock head. You’ll go to .539 from the .506 lift on a more accurate rocker.

Choice #2; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-710461-10
This one for a few more rpm’s. It has a higher lifts and duration but works a 2800 converter better. Also a 1.5 to a 1.6 with this cam, you go from a .525 to .560 intake, .531 - .566 exhaust. With this cam, I’d call Howard’s or ask if summit could have the LSA adjusted to a 108 considering your cubic inch displacement.

Nether cam will be great with power brakes. A vacuum can for brakes is always a good idea.

I personally think you ether have to much tire or not enough gear ratio. 3.55’s would be my minimum gear (and that’s pushing it some) and the maximum tire diameter would be 26 - 26-1/2 inch with that gear.
With the above combo I mentioned, the rate of acceleration is fine but long lasting. With your 3.23’s on 28’s, it’ll take you a mile or more to get to the top end of the tachometer. You’ll probably be doing around a 150 mph.

Do you need to travel the Hwy?
If not, you would have a good response from 3.91 gears.

Last edited:
You may want to give the guys at Hughes Engines a call, unlike Summit and Comp, all they do is Mopar. Best bet is to give them a call and tell them what you want to do.
Some questions you will need to answer:
  1. Engine size (cubic inch displacement)
  2. Weight of vehicle, with driver (if a driver is used)
  3. What category does your use fit? 1 thu 8 See below.
  4. Altitude where vehicle will be run.
  5. Desired ET or MPH (1/4 Mile)
  6. Present camshaft (duration @ .050", Lobe separation angle, lift etc...)
  7. Final gear ratio
  8. Stall speed of torque converter
  9. Tire height and width
  10. Fuel type/Octane
  11. Cylinder Cranking Pressure
  12. Iron or aluminum heads
  13. Measured Compression Ratio
  14. Intake manifold
  15. Header type and size
  16. Carburetor size
  17. Rocker arm type and ratio
  18. Will power adders be used? (N.O.S., turbo, supercharger etc...)
  19. Cylinder head air flow numbers
  20. Lifter Type: Hydraulic Flat Tappet or Roller, Mechanical Flat Tappet or Roller
  21. Distributor and Ignition System

The current cam is the Comp XE 262, correct? I think that's probably a pretty good cam with your stock converter and 3.23 gears. I doubt any cam you could install with your current setup would make an appreciable difference in performance for the money/ time spent. And I think the 340 repro cam would be a step backwards. If I were spending your money, I bet a 3000 stall and a bigger carb would make a big difference. If it's still too slow for you, the converter will allow for a hotter cam.

If your engine builder is a Chevy guy, then he will say the cam is too small. They are used to much larger cam numbers.
I'd say over camming a mopar is the number one problem when mixing parts up. It may sound good running a larger cam, but without the gear or convertor to compliment it, you'll go backwards. At a minimum, you'll need to get a better convertor. And don't forget to match springs.
Most important...degree the cam in the right way. Do not assume lining up the dots on the timing gears is going to be fine. I've seen them 12 degrees off either way.

Auto Transport Service
Back