• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on installing Aftermarket Gauge Panel/Gauges/Harness

72 Satellite

Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for any tips/advice on installing my new aftermarket Gauge Panel/Gauges/Wiring Harness in my 72 Satellite. Should I remove the steering wheel, drop and/or remove the column? Any tips you guys could pass along are greatly appreciated. I have the Service Manual and a laminated 11x17 wiring diagram for reference. It currently has the Non-Rallye Panel. I bought the Rallye style (Brushed Aluminum) panel, Gauges (Auto-Meter/Carbon Fiber) and Wiring Harness as a set from Classic Industries. After putting my gauges in the panel and connecting the harness to them it occurred to me that they sent the wrong harness. Contacted C. Industries and after a while they pointed me to the correct harness part# 718711937 from Classic Dash. Not sure if I want to start this project as I'm really looking forward to Carlisle in July and would hate to get stuck with issues that would keep me off the road. I'm changing out quite a bit of the interior before July so that will keep me busy I guess, lol. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Pull the dash. Remove the column and take the dash out complete. I swapped out a standard cluster for a factory rallye cluster in a car we restored for a customer last year. Dash comes out pretty quick and it is well worth the time. There are too many wire routing issues to do it in the car. Watch your wiper switch length. You probably need rallye style for the new panel. Also don’t leave your dash laying on the dash pad overnight or for long periods. Something like sawhorses will crush the padding and leave it distorted.

Pull the dash. Remove the column and take the dash out complete. I swapped out a standard cluster for a factory rallye cluster in a car we restored for a customer last year. Dash comes out pretty quick and it is well worth the time. There are too many wire routing issues to do it in the car. Watch your wiper switch length. You probably need rallye style for the new panel. Also don’t leave your dash laying on the dash pad overnight or for long periods. Something like sawhorses will crush the padding and leave it distorted.

Thanks for the tips LMSC33!

Any experience with the aftermarket Harnesses you could pass along ??

Auto Transport Service
Back