• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on trunk pan.....

lochenjons

Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Honestly I am very scared and apprehensive of doing this myself because I am not a body guy... I am a drivetrain guy. But I'm getting out of my comfort zone and learning a new skill here (hopefully). Pretty sure the trunk pan got replaced in this car when it got repainted (Early 2000's), but the bottom of the pan is starting to rot out. I bought a new OE thickness trunk pan from classic industries, it's currently sitting in my attic. I've googled and talked to people and it seems like a good number of folks end up only replacing the rotted part of the pan vs replacing the whole thing. The sheetmetal that is intact is in good shape. So, here are my questions:

1. Replace the whole pan? Or cut the rotted out part out and weld that in?
2. Is it standard for these trunk pans to come without the keepers for the fuel tank strap bolts? (in the top of the picture, below)
img-3335-jpg.jpg

3. Best way to take the pan out? I'm thinking cutoff wheel along support members (red lines in the picture below) and then drill out the welds? What have you guys done in the past?
rust.jpg

Honestly I am very scared and apprehensive of doing this myself because I am not a body guy... I am a drivetrain guy. But I'm getting out of my comfort zone and learning a new skill here (hopefully). Pretty sure the trunk pan got replaced in this car when it got repainted (Early 2000's), but the bottom of the pan is starting to rot out. I bought a new OE thickness trunk pan from classic industries, it's currently sitting in my attic. I've googled and talked to people and it seems like a good number of folks end up only replacing the rotted part of the pan vs replacing the whole thing. The sheetmetal that is intact is in good shape. So, here are my questions:

1. Replace the whole pan? Or cut the rotted out part out and weld that in?
2. Is it standard for these trunk pans to come without the keepers for the fuel tank strap bolts? (in the top of the picture, below)
View attachment 719081

3. Best way to take the pan out? I'm thinking cutoff wheel along support members (red lines in the picture below) and then drill out the welds? What have you guys done in the past?
View attachment 719082
i have removed two full trunk pans, never did before i did first one, you need a lot of patience there is a lot of spot welds, i used a sawsall and a hammer and chisel,you will need a good spot weld remover kit, blairs is very good,work was not that hard just go slow id the spot welds and drill them out, and new trunk pan do not come with gas tank holder brackets so drill the old ones out or buy new ones to weld back on,make sure you measure the distance while on the old pan so you will know where to position new ones, amd with one of their pans the brackets might be on it verify. time and patience is required for total removal.

Looks like an original pan to me.....

Define the portions that are rotted? If is just in the center then I would just replace what’s rotted....if it is in the whole trunk pan and extensions then I would replace the whole pan....

I always saved as much original metal I can....

That pan doesn’t look bad from what I can tell in the pictures, maybe you can post a couple better pics showing the rot. From what I see here I would just patch it.

It’s pretty crumbly up top in a couple spots. Those holes in the picture from the underside are the only holes.

Should I wire wheel everything and see what needs to be replaced? And spray some POR15 on any rusty but intact areas? Any problem areas to grind down (like quarter panel joints etc) and inspect? Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to have as much info and confidence as I can going into this

This car had a 2 piece welded in so I cut little squares around the welds and then ground them off because a spot cutter wouldn't work. I also use AMD one piece pan, the best I think. And fitting
trunk removal (9).JPG
drop off extensions can be a real bear if those are replaced.

Got it. So there’s no welds along the quarters? Just a seam sealer type of gasket? The only welds are on the support members right ? My quarters are in good shape and I don't have to take them off. Going to look at used mig welders today

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back