• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Affordable (somewhat) way to badly pitted stainless trim look good again?

67charger440

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 66 charger where all the exterior trim looks like the picture below. What is a way to make this not such a eye sore? Any old heads have any advice or helpful tips on what to do? Appreciate your time.

image.jpg

They're chromed pot metal. Not much you can do other than try sanding them down and paint them silver .

Anyone I've ever seen restore pot metal does the following:

1) acid bath to get ALL the corrosion (apparently whatisname from Graveyard Carz uses muriatic acid)
2) strip the chrome (mechanical grinding/sanding)
3) drill all the pinholes and fill with solder (acid flux is used) - careful with the heat!!
4) sand the filled areas
5) send for replating - hope they don't ruin all your hard work !!

If it were Stainless resto would be easy... Pot metal theres no easy (or cheap) way to restore.... If you can live with the monochromatic thing you can grind out the pits, fill them with the product of your choice, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand... And paint.... You could possibly get away with painting them black or some other color... You could try one of the faux chrome paints...

Greetings,

I have a 66 charger where all the exterior trim looks like the picture below. What is a way to make this not such a eye sore? Any old heads have any advice or helpful tips on what to do? Appreciate your time.

View attachment 1220675

As previously noted, those are not stainless. Stainless would be easy, die cast very expensive to do it right.

I guess I'm lazy, I'd look for replacement parts.
But 1st generation chargers are an anomaly.
The whole car isn't worth much but the the parts are rare and pricey. If you can find them.
And no I can't explain why.

Headlight surrounds and the j chrome like you show are being reproduced. We prefer getting originals replayed, but yours look pretty poor. Don’t know your budget.

Auto Transport Service
Back