• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

after 32 years in storage. its FINALLY back on the road.

gtx6970

Local time
6:44 PM
Reaction score
A very good friend of mine back east just got his Bird back on the road after a 32 year hibernation.
He has owned it since early 80s I think
Six barrel auto. Dealer installed A/C.
Per the wing car manifest
its the 3rd bird built. 1st bird shipped.
Possibly the east coast motorpool / magazine press pool car.
Other than a repaint done back in early 80s. Its a very unmolested unmessed with car.

If all goes as planned. I'll be taking a ride in it next week sometime.
I talked to his wife earlier today, she said he is stoked beyond belief

Life gets in the way sometimes, What was supposed to be a few years while he worked on / restored other cars. This one just kept getting pushed back " for just one more year." Unfortunately that turned in to 32. BUT, I bought my 66 Satellite off him last fall. He sold a 67 Coronet RT vert this past spring. He said it was time , past time to get the Bird back on the road. A good mutual friend of ours spent all summer going thru the brakes ignition / electrical and fuel system. And simply make it dependable and road worthy again. He drove it for the 1st time this afternoon. Now its time for some serious cleaning - detailing and some long overdue drive time.

Ive known it was being prepped since early this past spring. And I had asked then if he was gonna thin the stash down one more and sell it.
And I got a VERY resounding NO.....Car is NOT FOR SALE

Superbird.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome!! Him buying that 32 years ago, is like having a winning lottery ticket today!!

Some day, some day soon, I will have one of those. Really like that car!!! Good to see it back on the road.

That's awesome!! Him buying that 32 years ago, is like having a winning lottery ticket today!!

He bought it before then ,,,I think very early 80s time frame

I asked him if he was gonna sell it.

I got a VERY resounding NO. This one is absolutely not for sale .
It shares garage space with his 68 Coronet RT vert and a 1955 Chrysler 300

Really Nice SuperBird. Always liked those.

Definitely one of the nicest mopars. :thumbsup:

He bought it before then ,,,I think very early 80s time frame

I asked him if he was gonna sell it.

I got a VERY resounding NO. This one is absolutely not for sale .
It shares garage space with his 68 Coronet RT vert and a 1955 Chrysler 300

That 68 R/T Vert wouldn't be RR1 Burgundy Poly would it?

Wow what a thrill it must be for him to get it up and on the road again. Please tell your friend it looks great, and we're thankful to see it here. Maybe he could join this site and post some pictures.

That 68 R/T Vert wouldn't be RR1 Burgundy Poly would it?

Nope, QQ1 blue, white top and interior. console auto, factory air car

A LONG time friend of mine . I bought my 66 Satellite off of him.
He sold a black with white interior / top 67 RT vert this past summer. Also a factory air car

67774787-770-0@2X.jpg Bobs-car.jpg.c5dcb7d1b0e499fe1df38c4d623ed1a3.jpg

I can't even fathom a time having a Superbird stashed away for 40 years and doing nothing with it....

Wow what a thrill it must be for him to get it up and on the road again. Please tell your friend it looks great, and we're thankful to see it here. Maybe he could join this site and post some pictures.

Sorry to report. But ,,,,,,he IS NOT a forum / message board type. Hell, he's barely even internet savvy
I will be back there next week. I plan to take a bunch of pictures of it then . Maybe even take it for a spin around the block

Nope, QQ1 blue, white top and interior. console auto, factory air car

A LONG time friend of mine . I bought my 66 Satellite off of him.
He sold a black with white interior / top 67 RT vert this past summer. Also a factory air car

View attachment 1164098 View attachment 1164099

Nice combo! I was thinking of a Moparts member who also has a 68 R/T vert & a Superbird... Can't recall his name but a nice guy with a couple outstanding cars... I haven't been on Moparts since 2013 & I'm forgetting some details..

Last edited:
Nice combo! I was thinking of a Moparts member who also has a 68 R/T vert & a Superbird... Can't recall his name but a nice guy with a couple outstanding cars... I have been on Moparts since 2013 & I'm forgetting some details..

I think I know of whom you are referring to , and if so, both those cars are sold. He now owns a FC7 1970 RT vert .

ps, And I am fully aware of this memory issue you refer to . Trust me. LOL

Nice car and a neat story! Glad to hear it’s back out and being enjoyed!

Gorgeous car.

I could have bought a '70 Superbird for half of what I paid for my new '79 300 in September of 1980.

You could say I bought the losing lottery ticket.:eek:

Auto Transport Service
Back