• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After Market Disc Bakes For a 70 RR Question

soundhd

Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70 RR. Has power drum brakes.
One of the first things I want to do is convert to front discs (and rear if I can afford it right away).
Any suggestions on any brands/models that install without any problems.
Do realize I should replace the master cylinder and booster also. Looks like the brake lines were changed out when car was restored 10 years ago so they look new.
Want to change over to 15" (or maybe 16") wheels. No plans on putting anything larger than that on.
Will probably go with drilled & slotted in front...not sure about the rear....maybe just slotted....
Also plan on using braided hoses to the calipers.
Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wilwood, drilled slotted is unecessary extra cost but do look cool heres mine
DSC00445.jpg

if money is an issue take a look at scarebird products.(ebay store)they supply adapter brackets so you can use off the shelf calipers and rotors rather then buy a whole kit.have used there stuff many times and it is great quality.

Easy conversion? Can you post any info/tips about the install? Was looking at Wilwood as a first choice......

looks great...more important will stop well.........

wilwood, drilled slotted is unecessary extra cost but do look cool heres mine
DSC00445.jpg

I just started my scarebird front disc install tonight. It'll take me a few weeks as I dont have much time to work on it, but I'll let you know how it goes. Rotors are $30 each for a 72 ford galaxy and calipers are from a 99 ram. Whole kit should cost like $450. I picked em up from a member here for less.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the instructions and a photo. The only thing scarebird makes are the brackets and adaptor bushings. The ret are available at you local auto parts store.

image.jpg

I just started my scarebird front disc install tonight. It'll take me a few weeks as I dont have much time to work on it, but I'll let you know how it goes. Rotors are $30 each for a 72 ford galaxy and calipers are from a 99 ram. Whole kit should cost like $450. I picked em up from a member here for less.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the instructions and a photo. The only thing scarebird makes are the brackets and adaptor bushings. The ret are available at you local auto parts store.

View attachment 92370

only prob i ran into was even with the spacer they provided there was not enough threads to tighten up my rotor.solved it easy with a hardened washer from a local hardware store.

there are alot of different ways to do it.
before i made a choice,
i grabbed the b body performance upgrade book by andy f.
it lists the pro's and con's of most of the kits that are available
and what is compatable with each them.
its a good place to start before you buy anything for a lousy 20 bucks

i stuck with the factory 11 3/4 rotor swap with factory pin calipers for a few reasons
cost of replacement parts,availability,and it fits 15 inch rims.

Also with the factory rotors, you can get them drilled/slotted.....I like mine.

unless ur going road racing, stick with the 11 3/4 factory. JMO U can paint the factor calipers and they will look just like some aftermarket pieces to the untrained eye. 2012-08-18_23-33-34_886.jpg

These are 16's by the way. And the kit was $425 all chrysler parts!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 92370

ok, got it all together the other day and it all fit like a glove. I've been hesitating on which MC and prop valve to go woth, so I cant tell you yet how it drives.

67 coronet, i didnt have that problem at all - the spacers i have slid right on w a little help.

Mate if it helps, I got the SSBC kit for my 68 roadrunner, just with the standard disks and 4-pot calipers (no drilled or slotted). Cost me around $600 here in australia. It comes with an 11" booster I think and brackets to mount it. The iron master cylinder is complete junk though. I have since replaced with an alloy wilwood unit from Summit with 1" bore and it bolts straight up to the ssbc booster. Wilwood also make a combined prop valve / distribution block with built in brake light sensor, really tidy unit and gets rid of the brass block. It has 2 inlets for front and rear, 2 outlets for front (L and R) and a rear outlet with bias adjuster built in for the rear.

Let me know if you want any more details. If you could get just the rotors, calipers and booster from the SSBC kit you would be laughing, get the rest of the stuff from Summit.
brakes1_zps954be035.jpg

Well how about that, a car in Oz that has the steering wheel on the proper side, lol!!

Haha! Makes it a bit hard to go through the maccas drive through, but small price to pay for owning a real car.

I bought a rear disc set up from strange and will be getting there front kit. Good price too with billet aluminum calipers.

Auto Transport Service
Back