• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket A/C in a 68-70 RR

Meep-Meep

дворянин
Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with http://www.classicautoair.com/BBody6872.asp ???
or these guys http://www.vintageair.com/ ???
I am thinking about putting air in my 69 4 spd RR but don't want to go the factory conversion route. I'm just looking to make the least impact to the car as possible (as far as installation goes) and I heard some of these units slip in nicely and make the inside cold. I would also like to hide the compressor down below where it's out of the way.

i've dealt with classic auto air and have not had very good luck... wrong parts, shitty service, ect.

Does anyone have any experience with http://www.classicautoair.com/BBody6872.asp ???
I am thinking about putting air in my 69 4 spd RR but don't want to go the factory conversion route. I'm just looking to make the least impact to the car as possible (as far as installation goes) and I heard some of these units slip in nicely and make the inside cold. I would also like to hide the compressor down below where it's out of the way.

These people make the bracket/compressor mount that mounts under the alternator. It requires that you run an electric fuel pump as there is no room for the factory mechanical one.

Repo pulleys Bouchillon Perfromance Engineering

937 Commerce Circle

Hanahan, S.C. 29406 843-744-6559

I talked to them (Classic Auto Air) at the streetrod nationals and I wasn't impressed. That, coupled with the relatively few happy endings I've heard of from existing customers, steered me away from using them. YMMV.

Depends.
I put CAA in my non original 71 Duster. I'm happy with the end result. It works well-blows very cold, but I did some underhood modifing to the lines to get the custom look I wanted.
I'm thinking of putting air in my 68 Runner and will probably use theirs again for the fact I don't have to make major changes to the dash or cutting the body. I'll probably make some appearance mods to that one too tho.

That said, when I do a more Foose style custom to my "non R/T" Charger I plan on using the Vintage air kit. I think I'll be more satisfied with the end result without having to do the the mods I did on my Duster.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for a more positive results. So is it an installation issue - as in everything is so cheesy you would want to remake the brackets, etc...Or after all the hard work to put it in it's barely cold?

Here is some info for all of those that are interested in putting A/C in your old muscle car.

Some background on MY knowledge on the subject. For 11 years I worked for a muli-divisional company that among other things had been involved in the aftermarket automotive air conditoning business since 1957. I learned that there is no real magic in putting togather a custom system other than knowing where to buy the componant parts required. Most of the things you need are universal to nearly all cars such ad the condenser and dryer which is subject to the available space in front of your radiator, (the bigger the better) the refrigeration lines, and the compressor which the necessary model is dictated by the space available and which side the lines attach. These parts are readily available at parts stores or from suppliers of aftermarket A/C installers/suppliers.

The evaporator and the air vents are really the only things that present a problem for most people as they seldom know what they need or where to place them. The typical set up that most people want is something that is as hidden as possible or as close to factory looking as they can get.

For Mopar B bodies this varies only slightly from 1962-1975 or so. In nearly all of these applications you are going to want an under dash evaporator mounted on the passenger side under dash. This is the same basic location of a factory A/C evaporator. These are available as A/C only or as a Heater/A/C unit which would replace your existing factory heater unit. These evaporators were available in several different configuation especially with differences in the distribution outlets that the vent hoses attached to. Typically, a B body can use an evaporator that has all dischages on the top or two on top and one each on the sides. You then simply route the flexible hosing to the discharge vent openings.

On 62-67 the best looking set up wound be the simple slim line under dash vents that can be screwed to the long flat lower dash edge. One driver's side, one pasenger side and two in the middle. This also resembles the original factory A/C to some degree.

One 68-70 the dummy plates that cover the openings for factory A/C ducts on the ends of the dash both passenger and drivers side can be removed and aftermarket vents can be used here as the dash is already set up for this purpose. Two other vents can be place under the dash in the middle for additional air distribution.

71-up I am not real familiar with as I seldom pay much attention to these cars but you get the idea.

The controls are available in a compact panel that can be placed under the dash or IN your dash as space permits if you are willing to cut holes for this. There are several control panels available that can be used in placed of your factory controls.

So, where do you get these evaporators, vents and controls? Frig-King was the oldest manufacturer of these systems and custom parts. This is the company that my old company used to use. We install these sytems in off road equipment (Catapiller etc.) limos, flower vans, etc., etc. most anything you can think of. They offered a big selection of evaporators, and vents. I could not find them online and it has been nearly 20 years since I used them. I suspect someon has absorbed them or they are simply out of business, but I did see several places that sell Frig-King parts so you may have some luck there. The two links I list below show the componant parts I refer to above. Both offer complete kits or seperately sold parts. The first link has nice pictures of the evaporators, and a better selection of controls. The second link has prices on their site.

With this info you can piece togather your own complete system and buy the componants as you go if you so desire.

Hope this helps in your quest to be COOL.:cool:

http://www.hotrodair.com/index.cfm?ptype=results&Category_ID=2&home_id=2&mode=cat

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/duct-hose-and-vents-4.php

Ya know, you are making a lot of sense. Myself being in the repair business (not car related), I know things usually don't get done by reinventing the wheel. These A/C companies just piece together some existing parts, some fab work here and there and the rest is marketing. Why can't we do the same with some basic components? Thanks.

Ya know, you are making a lot of sense. Myself being in the repair business (not car related), I know things usually don't get done by reinventing the wheel. These A/C companies just piece together some existing parts, some fab work here and there and the rest is marketing. Why can't we do the same with some basic components? Thanks.

That's right. Companies like Vintage Air were around twenty years ago and all they were doing was grouping togather existing parts from different suppliers and selling them as a package. All they really had to do was determine which evaporator would fit a particular car and the best set of air louvers would work best.

As I said, there is no magic in it.

Hello all,

On my 67 GTX, most of the installs I seen on the web make you remove your pass side fresh air box & block off the outlet from the cowl. Not sure if this is required for 68-70 RR & GTX's. I have read the one might source a heater delete car's passenger side fresh air box & move the evap unit more toward the center of the dash & have both. Not sure if that is possible in my 67, but maybe it will be for yours. Hot Rod Air has a fresh air option for their universal fit evap units.

The controls are the tricky part, I think. Classic Auto Air's "Perfect Fit" series for my car uses the OEM heater ctls, but some of the functions work other than labeled. That series also locks you into using the old heater hose pass thrus in the firewall for the evap lines & then you have to drill new holes for the heater lines. I don't want to do that, so I will go with a universal fit evap. That way I can reuse the OEM heater hose pass thrus with bulkhead connectors & run my A/C lines where I want to. I am thinking of running them thru the upper part of my pass side fender well & enter the engine compartment just behind the raditor support to an under alternator mounted aftermarket compressor using that earlier mentioned Bouchillon mount. I'll mount the ctls under the dash, I guess.

Hot Rod Air, Classic Auto Air & Vintage Air all make universal fit evap units & offer vacumn or electronic controls as well.

John :grin:

I used Vintage Air and got the biggest universalheat,a/c,defrost kit they had for my 64 Polara(pics on another thread). I'm using servo motors instead of cables, and I bought some "bling" looking vents. The car is not on the road so I dont know how well this will work, but, the tech guy that helped me said the system that I got will cool the back seat of a station wagon. All parts were there in the 2 boxes and everything bolted up as per the instructions, so I gotta say this is a great kit.

I used Vintage Air and got the biggest universalheat,a/c,defrost kit they had for my 64 Polara(pics on another thread). I'm using servo motors instead of cables, and I bought some "bling" looking vents. The car is not on the road so I dont know how well this will work, but, the tech guy that helped me said the system that I got will cool the back seat of a station wagon. All parts were there in the 2 boxes and everything bolted up as per the instructions, so I gotta say this is a great kit.

Actually, when oversizing items in the system the best thing you can do is get the biggest CONDENSER that you can fit in front of your radiator. It is the key peice for maximum cooling.

I plan on running a Vintage Air unit in my Charger when all is said and done... I will be using a fresh air vent modified to fit the passenger side and move the evap more centered under the dash... should be a fun project.

The condensor size is 17x20. Damn near covers the whole radiator. By the "biggest" I meant the most power out of the vents for cooling and heating. The rugrats have to be comfortable or no one will be.

You should be happy with the Vintage Air unit. I have been installing them for years and have had very few problems. Classic Auto Air also has some nice units, but the installs can be more of a bear. One of the nice features on the Vintage units is that when you turn on the defroster, the compressors kicks in to help clear the windshield. Just like a new car. Food for thought....

Rev.

Yeah, that is sweet.

A/C

I have been thinking about the same thing. I am about to try and put a/c in a '68 Roadrunner. I have an a/c-heater unit out of a Kenworth sleeper that is about a foot square, the lines come out of the bottom and the air out of the top. I would like to plumb the air into the original vents into my dash. The lines coming out of the bottom would have to turn forward at a pretty low angle which would be pretty well hidden under the right of the head on the motor. What do you guys think about this? Also I haver a doner car for all the vents.

Mike

Go for it, it should be an interesting fab job, and you can always make the lines go where you want. Doc's Blocks can help if you run into problems with fittings and such.

Meep-Meep,

Any updates on your A/C system ?

About all I did was decide I am not putting it in the 69 RR because I'm building it as kind of a hot rod with a six pack and don't want to clutter it up. My 68 RR being an A/T bench seat car may get one since I plan to drive it a lot - assuming I can ever get it finished!!

I think we have the same idea if we will proceed with the A/C upgrade. Keep it clean and simple. Thin vents under the dash is good and minimal holes in the car. Hard plumbing tube will be a good touch also.

Auto Transport Service
Back