• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket AC

wedgie

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for some information on aftermarket AC condenser fitment on early B bodies. The underhood stuff is simple but there sure ain't much room under the dash on my '63 Polara. Standard Polara. No console. Most of the ones lister on Ebay are 15.7" X 13.8" X 5.5 " tall. I taped together a cardboard box in that size and it would be way proud of the dashboard and would be almost on the floor. Any pictures and information of early B condenser installations?

I am looking for some information on aftermarket AC evaporater fitment on early B bodies. The underhood stuff is simple but there sure ain't much room under the dash on my '63 Polara. Standard Polara. No console. Most of the ones lister on Ebay are 15.7" X 13.8" X 5.5 " tall. I taped together a cardboard box in that size and it would be way proud of the dashboard and would be almost on the floor. Any pictures and information of early B condenser installations?
Sorry, I'm a meathead showing my age. Evaporater not condenser.

My 65 Belvedere installation: Vintage Air, I went with the smaller unit as I have greatly enlarged the tunnel. The water valve is attached to the USCT inner fender brace I installed.
Mike
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG

More: I fabbed a cover plate for the air intake and used bulk head heater hose fittings. The A/C hoses run through the plenum grommeted at both ends. I ran all the front wiring through the plate also.
Mike
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG

I am looking for some information on aftermarket AC condenser fitment on early B bodies. The underhood stuff is simple but there sure ain't much room under the dash on my '63 Polara. Standard Polara. No console. Most of the ones lister on Ebay are 15.7" X 13.8" X 5.5 " tall. I taped together a cardboard box in that size and it would be way proud of the dashboard and would be almost on the floor. Any pictures and information of early B condenser installations?
Here's mine. Vintage Air, completely under dash on '64 Polara. If you are interested, I can look through invoices and give you a list of pieces I used. I did a pretty comprehensive post on '64 Forum of what I did.

P3220051.JPG

P3300054.JPG

P3300055.JPG

P4170005.JPG

P4170006.JPG

P6130010.JPG

P6130006.JPG

P4170008.JPG

Thanks guys. Super nice setups. I am really just wanting a cool only underdash evaporator unit. Much like the aftermarket units that were so popular in the day. My heat works well. no leaks, no drips. The units that I have been finding seem to be sized for early Mustangs.
I think that something thin with the controls in that part going over to the components over to the right side closer to the glovebox area. You know how little space there actually is under the dash in Early B's.
Thanks again.
Hoping for more responses.

These units are just way too big. It appears that they all have the same total dimensions, even with a thinner face. That's why I'm thinking thinline controls and works way to the right.
Thanks again.

aftermarket air11.jpg

aftermarket air12.jpg

aftermarket air13.jpg

aftermarket air14.jpg

aftermarket air15.jpg

aftermarket air16.jpg

Looking at pictures, it seems that 1967-72 Chevy/GMC pickup truck unit from Old Air Products may work. Heavy on the may. I'm waiting for some detailed measurements in order to make a cardboard mockup.

1967 GMC underdash.jpg

1967 GMC underdash02.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back