• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket oil pressure gauge

flatiron44

Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
Anyone ever have a issue with using the plastic tubing on a aftermarket oil pressure gage ?

Don't do it.. You may think it but doooonn't do it. Those plastic lines break leak and next thing you know you have massive amounts of oil blowing all over your engine or worse in your car. Buy the copper line and do it that way. The plastic ones SUCK.

Did that in the 70's and as noted by beep beep.... I had to throw out my shoes and pants one day..

Last edited:
That said, bronze/copper breaks too from vibration! Luckily I still had a couple quarts of oil left when I landed at home on this one... why you ALWAYS should put a restricted orifice in an oil pressure line fitting !
djkoilleakjan222012 005.jpg
djkoilleakjan222012 012.jpg

Plastic line is prohibited by nhra, and I know copper line can work harden and crack, from engine vibration. Aircraft Teflon braided line for me.

I used an electric gauge for that reason - didn't like the idea of hot oil leaking in the interior.

I've used both but prefer copper for the reason previously stated. 440'

I've used both plastic & copper. No real problems. The race/street car uses Aeroquip. My bracket cars got Aeroquip. Both plastic & copper will likely harden & fail over time. The compression fittings are also questionable, had a couple that had real small leaks that required replacement.

I've always used the plastic tubing. No problems for 39 years now.
Mike

I have seen them fall onto a header and puke oil all over the header. I have also seen them break right at the oil gauge and puke oil all over the carpet. I'd take my chances with the copper. It only takes one failure to ruin your day.

Friend of mine had an oil gauge line break in his 396 Camino years back. He said the oil burned his leg (2nd degree) and made an irreversible mess...the carpet. I just couldn't imagine taking the chance with the time & cash I put into the interior so went electric...granted they're not as pinpoint but for the few psi variance I went this route. The double tip sender still has the oil light function..

Curious do they make a gauge isolator for oil like they do for fuel???

Like many, I have used the plastic tubes for years. I have had an issue or 2 but that was generally due to things that could have been prevented like proper routing. About 10 years ago I begun putting the plastic likes into rubber tubing as a shield which I believe does help. That said, in more recent years I went to electric gauges completely for several reasons; first I do not like routing the hoses/sending units plus there is always that threat of a breaking oil line.

I happen to see a drop of oil on a rag that I had on the floor of the car. It turned out to be coming where the plastic line exits the gauge. I removed the line and the nut had been over tighten to the point where the ferrel cut into the line. I was probably a start or two away from a disaster. A previous owner Installed the gauge and needless to say it now has copper tubing.

Auto Transport Service
Back