• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Cleaner Base Studs

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi all - The studs for the air cleaner cover are pretty short and I struggle to get the nuts back on each time. Before I try to remove them to replace with longer ones, does anyone know if in fact they are replaceable? I assume they would be replacable if they got stripped over the years.

Pic of mine attached.

Thanks!
Bob

Breather Cover Studs.jpg

those look normal are you using the factory height element? Anywho I think those are resistance welded in place.

those look normal are you using the factory height element? Anywho I think those are resistance welded in place.
Hmmm...Not sure. I know it's a K&N 2" high oiled filter and that's about it.

Anyone have a part number that they use that I can compare to?

CA332V is the part number although I think 2” is about right.

Last edited:
The repro CA332V is a bit taller than the OEM version, found that out myself, as I have the car's original filter.
Even trimming the raised beading around the filter, the AG lid just barely screws down.
Original AG assembly & wingnuts on the car.
The K&N filter fit better than the repro, but I wanted a fresh stock-looking filter.

The repro CA332V is a bit taller than the OEM version, found that out myself, as I have the car's original filter.
Even trimming the raised beading around the filter, the AG lid just barely screws down.
Original AG assembly & wingnuts on the car.
The K&N filter fit better than the repro, but I wanted a fresh stock-looking filter.
Thanks! That’s my situation exactly…

Maybe try a shouldered style nut?. It would require drilling the holes out larger but would allow the threaded portion to reach down into the stud further.

Thanks Dan64! I ordered 2 today...hard to fine 12-24 shoulder nuts...

Hmmm…I took the existing wing nut to a hardware store and fit a 12-24. I’ll double check…thanks!

Run the K&N, keep the repop for shows.
(Frankly, I would be MORE impressed with a dirty K&N at a show, than a clean repop. The difference between a car used as its supposed to be..... versus a show poodle)

Auto Transport Service
Back