• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air cleaner clearance...raise the drawbridge or lower the river?

IQ52

Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
Seems someone is always looking for air cleaner clearance. One solution I seldom see mentioned is to raise the body of the car away from the engine. It is easily done by placing spacers of the needed distance between the k-member and the unibody. I've seen it done and is un-noticeable with a reasonable spacer.

Me, I'd rather cut a hole in the hood. But if you are using an AirGrabber or want to keep a clean factory look on the hood, raise the bridge. It will also require a realignment of the front end.

The trouble with spacers is it compromises already limited adjustment. None of the early Mopars have enough built in caster. To have reasonable camber and caster the front cams have to be adjusted out as far as possible. The rears are then adjusted in to gain caster. Shimming the K-frame pulls the lower ball joint away from the upper a arm mounting point. This causes the upper arm to tilt downward moving the upper ball joint inward. I've done it, but with out offset upper bushings getting the alignment close may not be possible.
Doug

You are oh-so-right. You don't pull this stunt unless you have a very good alignment man clearing up the issues you've created. There are always things you have to work out when you change things from their original design.

My air cleaner doesn't fit! Well duh, what do you expect when you change intake manifolds and carburetors?

I wanna go really, really, fast and I want everything stock. What brand of magic do I use?

Harry? Harry Potter?

U can also modify the base plate of the aircleaner! Drop it and weld in a picece of sheetmetal.

i'm running an Edelbrock "Victor" intake on my 69 RR with no clearance issues, albeit, not using the air grabber system or hood insulation either. P5161100.jpg

For those who want to run the factory unsilenced air cleaner using the factory 13 " air filter, use the Proform-Ford Racing part#302-350 air cleaner kit and gain over 3/4" with the drop base

For those who want to run the factory unsilenced air cleaner using the factory 13 " air filter, use the Proform-Ford Racing part#302-350 air cleaner kit and gain over 3/4" with the drop base

Will that work with factory kickdown linkage? Maybe I don't have the correct linkage on my car but the linkage is real close to hitting the air cleaner base and its not a drop base.

Auto Transport Service
Back