• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air compressor question

copper67sat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Looking for input on whether to try to repair my 25 yr old Craftsman (DeVilbuss) air compressor. It is a 3.5 hp 25 gal unit. Today it ate the new fan cage I put on it less than a year ago after it ate the original and I have only used it a dozen times or so since. The retaining screw was still tight, but the keyway, which is only on the back face and doesn't go all the way through the thickness, is spun/stripped. I can buy another cage, but there must be something causing the cage to chew up its keyway which then allows it to smack the tank.
20210820_105703.jpg
20210820_105658.jpg
20210820_105652.jpg

The motor and/or compressor has started surging sometimes whereas it used to run a steady rpm. All that has me thinking it might be time to just get a new one unless there's a relatively cheap and easy fix.

I'm honestly surprised it still runs, those were throwing rod when a month old... Scrap it & buy something decent...

Why is the fans mounting hole off set? The hole should be in the center of the fan hub to go on the armature's shaft end. Or am I missing something??

Looks like an oiless compressor.. do yourself a favor and scrap it! Those things are ridiculously loud and cheap. If you don't want to spend the money on a quality compressor at least get one that uses oil, personally I'd have nothing against buying an old used cast iron pump over a cheap new one.

Why is the fans mounting hole off set? The hole should be in the center of the fan hub to go on the armature's shaft end. Or am I missing something??
I'm guessing because it's mounted to the throw on the crankshaft not the center, mounting it off center would make it spin true.

I'm guessing because it's mounted to the throw on the crankshaft not the center, mounting it off center would make it spin true.
I see that now. Ugh looks like a POS to me.

It was cheap so I could afford it at the time lol and it has served me well, but I haven't used it heavily in a long time. I definitely want to get something more capable. Thanks for the suggestion @Ironbuilt

About 22 years ago I bought a 100 gal 2 stage IR T-30 to replace my aging Craftsman compressor that was bought in the mid 70's. The Craftsman wasn't an oil less so maybe that's why that little thing lasted so long but I knew it was on the way out by the oil it was putting into the lines and wasn't about to spend money on it. The 'new' one is a horizontal but at the time the price was right for a nearly new used one plus there really wasn't a good place in my shop for anything but a horizontal so....I'm still running it.

Looks like the same one I got from Tractor Supply. 220 single phase compressor or dual?
Yep, Tractor Supply. 5HP 220 v 80 gallon tank.
I love it. I plumbed the whole shop with the Rapidair system and I couldn't be happier.

Is it worth keeping the old 25 gal tank for extra air storage? Still hoping to build a workshop behind the house before I retire and do at least one more big project. Thinking of trying my hand at body and paint this time after seeing the great build threads here.

Is it worth keeping the old 25 gal tank for extra air storage? Still hoping to build a workshop behind the house before I retire and do at least one more big project. Thinking of trying my hand at body and paint this time after seeing the great build threads here.

It could be... First question, how good of a job have you done of keeping the condensate drained? cause the tanks rust from the inside out & if/when they fail the energy released is crazy.... Watch this... Age restricted?? It's a compressor tank exploding....

that said if your confident that it's safe a small tank near a short use high volume location can be very beneficial...

Auto Transport Service
Back