• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Dam for my new Scoop

Mike Gaines

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
A couple of pix up inside my new 5" Hemi Style Scoop.
I drilled several 1/2" holes in each side of the rear of the scoop to let the air pass thru...(didn't want it catching too much air and blowing off the hood).
Then I fabbed this rather simple "air dam" that kind of directs the air that comes down the center of the scoop INTO the Dominator...(hopefully)
I don't know know if it really works or not but it makes me feel good...plus I had the fastest ET to date at the recent March Meet with this setup....10.158.

air dam.jpg vent holes.jpg hood 5 inch.jpg

Looks good, I seen an episode of engine masters where they dynoed a bunch of different filter styles, and the style that performed best was something similar to what you have there with a wall around the carb and air coming straight down. I want to say it out performed other setups by about 20hp

i think it is a good idea, it makes it more like a direct ram air effect, you should notice a difference.

Last edited:
I drilled several 1/2" holes in each side of the rear of the scoop to let the air pass thru...(didn't want it catching too much air and blowing off the hood).
Then I fabbed this rather simple "air dam" that kind of directs the air that comes down the center of the scoop INTO the Dominator...(hopefully)
I don't know know if it really works or not but it makes me feel good...plus I had the fastest ET to date at the recent March Meet with this setup....10.158.

View attachment 579987 View attachment 579988 View attachment 579989
Looks great mike

View attachment 579987 View attachment 579988 View attachment 579989
Looks good. Did you use a fiber lock nut to hold it down. I'm a little paranoid about engines swallowing nuts.

Mine has no holes in the back of the scoop. Flat pan with foam sealing against the hood. 5" Hemi scoop. Hood is held on with 4 hood pins. Has never come off. 500 passes at 145+. I will say I wouldn't run holes in the back of the scoop without a baffle like the one pictured. I have tested and found the air blowing over the carb will lower the pressure above the bowl vents. This WILL lean the mixture. Run with no hood and see the fuel mist up on the windshield at the end of the run. For what it's worth;
During testing the turbo car with blow thru carb to get correct A/F ratio we kept adding jet. Then we installed 90 degree spark plug boots over the bowl vents facing forward into the air stream. The same A/F required jets 10 sizes smaller.
Doug

Mine has no holes in the back of the scoop. Flat pan with foam sealing against the hood. 5" Hemi scoop. Hood is held on with 4 hood pins. Has never come off. 500 passes at 145+. I will say I wouldn't run holes in the back of the scoop without a baffle like the one pictured. I have tested and found the air blowing over the carb will lower the pressure above the bowl vents. This WILL lean the mixture. Run with no hood and see the fuel mist up on the windshield at the end of the run. For what it's worth;
During testing the turbo car with blow thru carb to get correct A/F ratio we kept adding jet. Then we installed 90 degree spark plug boots over the bowl vents facing forward into the air stream. The same A/F required jets 10 sizes smaller.
Doug
Thanks...great info about the 90 degree plug boots...will do.

Doug
---
That's excellent information! Thanks for sharing Doug.

Made a air cleaner base hold down. Crude a perfect example of measure once and screw up, just put on for pic. 1/4" pipe with a couple of wings.
air.jpg

Made a air cleaner base hold down. Crude a perfect example of measure once and screw up, just put on for pic. 1/4" pipe with a couple of wings.
View attachment 582348
---
My fibreglass base ranks about the same as your hold down Frank! Some pics for proof. Lol

IMG_4637.JPG

I made a mold out of plastic board or whatever it's called. Then I taped it completely up with packing tape and got out the fibreglass.
IMG_1948.JPG

When I was done the packing tape wrinkles showed through. Lol. But it matches the bottom of the hood.. Haha
IMG_1949.JPG

Picture before being secured to the air cleaner base.
The dip in the rear is for the hood structure.
IMG_1956.JPG

I used some A/C foam from the hardware store for the seal.
I can run with or without the air filter. The plenum is held down firmly with the hood when closed. Posting these pictures though I see that a hold down would be a good idea when not running the filter.

View attachment 582348

Frank, thanks for your post today on your filter base hold down. It got me busy and I fab'd up one for my base too. Now when I run without a filter I can still keep the base secure to the carb, not just the hood holding things in place. Thanks!
IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

not to hijack this post. malex have you ever though of using one of these top air filters, I have a friend that has a hood scoop setup like yours and he uses one and really likes it. He tells me he has noticed a difference in his car since he installed it.

66-1401XR.jpg

not to hijack this post. malex have you ever though of using one of these top air filters, I have a friend that has a hood scoop setup like yours and he uses one and really likes it. He tells me he has noticed a difference in his car since he installed it.

View attachment 582560

Hi Moes, yes I've had other members tell me the same thing and there's one currently sitting in my Jegs cart. Along with my stiff sidewall Hoosiers. Hoping I won't need to run an air filter but in my environment, some days there's more dirt in the air than on the ground.

Auto Transport Service
Back