• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air flow, what goes where?

bodk

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am restoring a 1966 Dodge Coronet Convertible with A/C. When pushing the HEAT bottom no air is comming out of the dash vents, but out of the small openings in the core. Is nice warm air. If I decouble the compressor and push A/C the warm air flows out of the dash vents!

Does anybody knows where the air should go! I have purchased a A/C control switch from Classic Air, but then after a mail correspondence they stated the switch was wrong. I recently purchased a new A/C switch from Classic industries specifically for 1966 Coronet, but the flow is the same as the Classic Air Switch!

All vacuum pumps works, Heater works and I am to fix the A/C for this summer as the last of my restoration project which have lasted 3½ year. Living in Copenhagen I can't just drive to the nearest Classic US Car service, but must fix it myself!

When pushing the HEAT bottom no air is comming out of the dash vents, but out of the small openings in the core.

You need to download the '66 Dart and Coronet manual at MyMopar. Nothing is wrong, your system is working correctly.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Warm air naturally rises, so discharging at the floor, where it is coldest, works best. The 66-69 AC boxes are mostly similar. That is exactly how my 69 works.

Not many folks can drive to classic car service here, either. Most of us just call it "my garage"

Heat button means it will come out the floor.
AC buttons make it come out the dash vents.
Defrost makes it come out the top of dash to glass.

this is standard USA way of car heaters working.

heat button doesn’t always mean an hot air.
The temperature changes come from the cool-hot slider.

Many thanks for your quick reply. You have given me valuable information and I can now continue assembling the A/C Switch, Dash and AC components.

You need to download the '66 Dart and Coronet manual at MyMopar. Nothing is wrong, your system is working correctly.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Warm air naturally rises, so discharging at the floor, where it is coldest, works best. The 66-69 AC boxes are mostly similar. That is exactly how my 69 works.

Not many folks can drive to classic car service here, either. Most of us just call it "my garage"

Many thanks for you quick reply. I guess I just have to continue as you state "nothing is wrong" but a bit strange the openings at the bottom are so small!

Auto Transport Service
Back