• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber base paint?

s/w theo

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
I have acquired an air filter base assembly from a 70 440 GTX & was wondering what they used from the factory to paint them? I want to glass bead it & paint it to the correct color/sheen, so it looks factory correct. It will be good wall art for my little shop.
I have the same question posted on For Road Runners Only also but no reply in a couple days.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DSC01179.JPG

DSC01180.JPG

I used VHT satin black roll bar paint, it’s a close match to survivor photos and current reproduction offerings.

1A640704-4AA4-41F6-ADDD-25360D2ABB31.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree, originally gloss; however, most rattle can gloss blacks come out way too glossy. I’ve had good results with John Deere Medium Gloss paint (Part TY25638)

They were pretty glossy, they loose the gloss with people wiping them and the 52 years of age, fuel, gasoline, etc.

I have an NOS one I can photo.

Same with steel wheels, they were full gloss. Find one well cared for and remove the tire, the bead area shines brute.

Back when I had a 1969 GTX.
I bought an nos base for the air cleaner.
And was gloss black .

A decent match is duplicolor gloss black engine enamel

I had an nos 440 AG baseplate I sold a few years ago and agree that it was a semi gloss. The newer gloss paint today is way to shiny and wet looking to look original. I also have an nos 6 pack air cleaner assembly and the base is the same..

Mine is painted with Tremclad Black Semi Gloss. I'm pretty sure it's right in the ball game..

Thank you all for the in-put. I guess I'll paint it satin black. It's not going on a nice resto car anyway.

I had mine powder coated gloss black...
I had some other heater box parts done @ the same time for a batch price.
And now 20 years later it still shine well..

Just my $0.02...

Auto Transport Service
Back