• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber Connection Help

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
So I found out my 1970 Service Manual is not helpful for my air grabber. It shows a 1969 setup! So much for that!

All my connections on my air grabber have been either disconnected and/or rerouted. I temporarily hooked the manifold vacuum direct to the air grabber so it opens when the car is started. I now want to hook up all hoses properly.

There are three connections on the switch, one on the intake manifold, two on the canister and two on the actuator. Can anyone help me with the proper way to hook up these up? Anything else needed?

All I have is this picture below, but it really does not help. I think it might also be a 71-72 and I need for 1970.

Appreciate the help,

Hawk

Air_Grabber.jpg

Is this what you are looking for?

View attachment 121330

Yes, that is great help - Thanks!

My guess on operation: Manifold vacuum fills the reservoir so you will have enough vacuum whenever the air grabber is opened. Green goes to the switch which will break or connect vaccume to black hose and solenoid (What is the purpose of the solenoid???). That feeds the actuator to open the air grabber. Air discharging goes through the white hose - I am guessing the switch allows the scoop to close faster?

Am I close?

Now I guess I need to find the solenoid too...

Thanks,

Hawk

I think the purpose of the solenoid is to shut the scoop when the key is turned to the off position. A quick Internet search confirms this. Seems a lot of guys run without one.

I run without one and while running down the interstate it would open up on it's own due to the airflow

I did the same internet search and found out the same thing.

I assume mine is under the dash somewhere, I just have to find it...

Found the solenoid!

So I found the air grabber solenoid!

For those of you who are missing yours, or are adding an air grabber, take a look...

Here is the solenoid.
IMG_0838.jpg

Here is the mounting location. There are two screws that hold the solenoid against the back of the dash, but you can't get to the screws unless the lower dash pad is removed
IMG_0839.jpg

Now I remember why I hate working on stuff under the dash :angryfire:

That'll help in the future. Word of advise, careful around that air grabber switch. I broke the red handle off mine by bumping it lightly.

It is Working!!!

So after ripping much of the dashboard apart, I reconnected my air grabber per the diagram. Luckily, some of the smaller hoses under the dash were still there, with original colored lines, and they matched the diagram.

At any rate, once it was hooked up, I fired up the car and tried it. NOTHING! :angryfire:

So I started tracing the vacuum source, and found that it died at the canister on the firewall. I assumed that my canister was bad because I had good vacuum from the manifold, but no vacuum on the other side. For no particular reason, I swapped the vacuum source on the canister to the other nipple, and lo and behold I had vacuum on the other side. I then tried the air grabber and it opens and closes just like it should! :headbang:

The lesson here is the vacuum canister does have an inlet and outlet. Hook it up backwards and it won't work...

Thank you Baller, sorry it took me so long to respond. Just a busy weekend.
I appreciate your help, Buck

Auto Transport Service
Back