• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber quest over!!!

popslavaz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
Just back from road trip to Battle Creek MI. Picked up a VERY nice complete ‘71 Air grabber hood.Rust free original paint with all the operating parts included.The three year search is now in the books. Got a great cash deal from Mario that sells parts in the Detroit Metro area.Great honest person to do business with.The hood was nicer than I expected.

0A9E5CDF-0175-4309-B4CA-1EF1488A48A2.jpeg 38CA4C54-854D-44CD-A847-DDB284AC2B9E.jpeg

thats great,glad you found it.:thumbsup:

Very cool. Patience pays off, and the good quality of the hood will live on long after the price (good or bad) is forgotten. Nicely done!

Great find!!
Two questions: does the vacuum actuator work? Did you get the auto close solenoid valve, that lives behind the instrument panel (this valve dumps the vacuum that opens the air grabber door allowing it to close on shutdown)
What's the person's contact information.....I'm always looking for a source for parts.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Bob Renton

As soon as I got it home hooked up my vacuum pump to the actuator and it all worked perfect.As I said bought the hood with all the operating parts. Not a dash with components.I will contact seller and ask if I can share his number.

Pops,
Thank you for your email and information. I assumed that your car already has the solenoid valve installed. If not, Its a 3 connection valve with a 12v DC coil. Its mounted on the back side of the panel on the bottom lip of the panel. One connection goes to the vacuum source, one connection goes to the actuator via the air grabber switch. If you do not have the valve the air grabber will work just not correctly. I've not seen the air grabber system on any FSM wiring diagram. Air grabber actuators are usually around $200 +/-, Herb's parts used to sell repop units for $250 ×/-. 1968,9 Chargers with hidden head lamps have a SIMILAR but not identical actuator and will work if in a pinch. I wish you luck in your project. Where in Illinois do you live? Do you go to the Mopar show near Belevedre in July?
Regards,
Bob Renton

cool beans
being complete will save you so much more in the long run
as these hoods will nickel and dime you to death the more that is missing.
the hood I got was missing a bunch of hard to find hardware
that doesn't come in a kit.
it took me a few years to track down all the correct missing pieces.

then if you really want to go nuts
now you need the air cleaner and
track down the correct air grabber holley carb
with a nos solenoid

Picked up a nice air cleaner several years ago.Thought about selling it several times thinking I would not ever find a hood.
Glad now I never got around to it!!!!

86F64842-F554-438E-9EFA-629846675C7C.jpeg

Picked up a nice air cleaner several years ago.Thought about selling it several times thinking I would not ever find a hood.
Glad now I never got around to it!!!!

View attachment 791349

Cool. Forgive me if I am stating the obvious that you know: Do you know that the base plates are different for B vs. RB engines? Do you have the right one for your engine?

Hey Mike, Here is some pics of original A/G switch set-ups and some pieces. This is what your looking for. You can see the switch vacuum ports on the back of the switch and the part #. Those ports are important and should look just like that not all gooped up copper tubes in them... Also the solenoid you can see the vacuum ports on it there are 2. The loose solenoid is a 70 it just has a different wiring end compared to the male bullet type used on 71-2. The light brackets are easy to find as they are the same as the defrost switch bracket and wagons for the rear power window. Hope this helps you find quality original parts!!

This link will help you later once you start putting it all together...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...298/air-grabber-hood-vacuum-line-routing.html

IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1355.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back