• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air line hose for painting question.

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Guys, been a while since I painted my last car and am now getting set up in a new area. I have in the past used a conventional spray gun with a 3/8 heavy duty supply hose. Have now acquired a HVLP gun and was wondering if those light weight 1/4 inch air supply hoses that are normally used for nail guns would supply air volume needed for a HVLP type gun. They are so much easier to drag around and roll up in general but not sure exactly whats needed for this sprayer. I have taken Wild R/Ts support of 3Ms disposable cup system and purchased one for urethane paints with 200 micron filters. But don't think that's a factor in CFM requirements. Any opinions/advice appreciated ......thanks

Don't really know. I would read up on the typical cfm volume that sort of hose delivers by looking at new ones online and seeing what they advertise. That should inform you since you know what cfm deliver volume you need at the gun to maintain constant pressure to the gun. That info would have been supplied with the HVLP gun.

It all depends on the material you're spraying. A primer gun with a big tip uses more air if
you are really trying to cover a car in five minutes, and a finish gun with alot of pressure
uses some air too! Some 3/8" lines are more flexible than others, but you need a regulator
at the gun to see what you're doing. Again, material directions will dictate how much air
you need.

Just trying to use logic here, HVLP is "high volume", 3/8 line holds more volume at same pressure than 1/4 line.

I use the 1/4” hose for everything. I do run through a water trap though to minimize water contamination. For regular air tools, I run straight to the compressor.

a good running compressor does make a difference. One adequate to hold a steady 100 lbs. at all times when in using. You dont want to wait for a compressor to catch up while spraying.
Primer guns like I use have the standard fittings.
My Hvlp or RP guns for base clears have hvlp fittings.

The shop hoses are 3/8 inside dia. That seems to be the normal hose size. Even at home.

The gun I am planning for use is a Finex {Sharp} FX3000, new, but have no paperwork so some research is needed. With my old convention gun seems I set pressure at the gun in the 35 to 40 PSI with most epoxy primers and sometimes less than that with urethanes and clears, but , here again not sure what the volume was. I do have a large compressor so maintaining a constant volume will be easy to do. Have been looking at the 3 M Accuspray guns....anybody use/like/dislike those....

The gun I am planning for use is a Finex {Sharp} FX3000, new, but have no paperwork so some research is needed. With my old convention gun seems I set pressure at the gun in the 35 to 40 PSI with most epoxy primers and sometimes less than that with urethanes and clears, but , here again not sure what the volume was. I do have a large compressor so maintaining a constant volume will be easy to do. Have been looking at the 3 M Accuspray guns....anybody use/like/dislike those....
Accuspray guns are neat. Tips are not cheap though. But in the same token less clean up

I may be out of step but I have a 1/2“ air line I used in painting my cars to get maximum air flow. Of course the connections are still a throttle point.

1/4 inch hose will work fine

the high volume part is material, the low pressure part is air

Just trying to use logic here, HVLP is "high volume", 3/8 line holds more volume at same pressure than 1/4 line.
Your logic is flawed. The "high volume" refers to the amount of paint that flows due to the guns being "gravity feed". So less air is required than would be needed to "siphon" the paint from a standard cup and this is where "low pressure" comes in.

I never shoot primer through the same type of gun that I shoot color/clear. The difference is
amazing if you spray primer with a cheap primer gun! You can do a whole car in three minutes.
The other key with using 3/8" hose is using the high flow fittings.

One the right Base, or Clear with a 1.3 tip. Also have the 1.4 tip Sata RPs as well Hvlp fittings.

One on the left. Just a 100 Sata. With a 1.8 tip for primer. Standard fitting
image.jpg

slimt, Bro, some of them Sata guns listed in my OReillys refinishers guide book sell for over a $1000 bucks each, geeezzzz, tell me , even you pros that paint for a living, can they justify paying over a grand for a paint gun.....I mean is there THAT much of a difference . I would bet a pro with a cheap gun could out perform a rookie like me with a 1k gun any day hands down....hmmnn

slimt, Bro, some of them Sata guns listed in my OReillys refinishers guide book sell for over a $1000 bucks each, geeezzzz, tell me , even you pros that paint for a living, can they justify paying over a grand for a paint gun.....I mean is there THAT much of a difference . I would bet a pro with a cheap gun could out perform a rookie like me with a 1k gun any day hands down....hmmnn
You dont have to have a expensive spray gun to do paint work. But I do this all the time. So I do require good tools for the trade.

I have 30 plus satas kicking around Ive acquired over the years. They are really good. My preference I guess.

Guys, been a while since I painted my last car and am now getting set up in a new area. I have in the past used a conventional spray gun with a 3/8 heavy duty supply hose. Have now acquired a HVLP gun and was wondering if those light weight 1/4 inch air supply hoses that are normally used for nail guns would supply air volume needed for a HVLP type gun. They are so much easier to drag around and roll up in general but not sure exactly whats needed for this sprayer. I have taken Wild R/Ts support of 3Ms disposable cup system and purchased one for urethane paints with 200 micron filters. But don't think that's a factor in CFM requirements. Any opinions/advice appreciated ......thanks
I've used both the 1/4" and 3/8" line. The 1/4" is much more comfortable to use, easier to handle.

Auto Transport Service
Back