• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air shocks enough?

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
seeing what the general opinion is here. will a good set of air shocks such a highjackers be enough to lift the rear of a 64 fury? or will I need some superstock springs as well? im cranking the torsion bars up in the front and hope the air shocks can handle the rear.

thoughts?

I had them on my cuda they raised the car but had to add air every once in awhile. I had my rear springs re-arched instead and that worked out better. Got rid of the air shocks.

I agree with these guys. "Back in the Day" I ran air shocks on everything to clear the super-wide tires I ran & un-modified wheel wells. On my car, when I ran them, I tore part of the upper shock mount cross-member and broke the "pin/bolt" off of the lower shock plate.

You might not "need" super stocks. They put the *** end of the car a mile high in the air, but at least think about getting new springs. If you're short on cash or busy, maybe try an "add-a-leaf" for the time being.

Air shocks exist to level a vehicle when carrying a load or trailer with tongue weight. They are not designed to 'jack-up' a vehicle. That is the job of the rear springs. As had been said (and shown on Zack's post) bad things can happen when you force a shock to do the spring's job. New springs, re-arched springs or even 'add-a-leaf' are way better options...

Something I am curious about now: if the air shocks make up for an loaded/overloaded vehicle, how could it be any more strain on the suspension/mounting components when used when unloaded? Less weight would mean less stress on things, right? I think we are all guessing here. Is there an engineer/architect/scientist (doctor?) in the house?

The general opinion on this board is negative when it comes to air shocks. However, I do not subscribe to this. I put air shocks on my '64 Polara (Hijackers) and they don't leak and work just fine. The KEY is not to pump them up a lot. They hold up to 200 psi. but I run them at 65 psi. That raised the rear about 2 1/2". No need to go overboard.... that is where bad things can happen like tearing out your upper shock mounts. I took the precaution of adding a 2" square tube crossmember to reinforce those mounts but quite honestly I think it was overkill.

Bottom line... if you want to use them go ahead. Just don't jack them up to the moon and you'll be fine.

I think what happens is they are typically maxed out to the point where most of the weight is on the shocks and not the leafs... which causes a lot of metal fatigue at the point of attachment...just a therory though.

Thanks for all the input guys. I do want the car to ride high. About 2-3 inches over stock for that early 60s SS look. I've considered re-arching the springs but they are old and saggy so superstock springs were my next logical choice. Does anyone know how high above stock superstock springs will raise the *** end?

The general opinion on this board is negative when it comes to air shocks. However, I do not subscribe to this. I put air shocks on my '64 Polara (Hijackers) and they don't leak and work just fine. The KEY is not to pump them up a lot. They hold up to 200 psi. but I run them at 65 psi. That raised the rear about 2 1/2". No need to go overboard.... that is where bad things can happen like tearing out your upper shock mounts. I took the precaution of adding a 2" square tube crossmember to reinforce those mounts but quite honestly I think it was overkill.

Bottom line... if you want to use them go ahead. Just don't jack them up to the moon and you'll be fine.

I have used them (Hi-Jackers) on four previous 64 Polara 500's with no problems what so ever. Of course I only needed them to raise the rear about 1.5 to 2 inches. Which ment under 100 lbs in air pressure.
I'm going to put them on my current (5th) 64 Polara 500.

So just as said earlier, don't max them out. Maybe because these vehicles are so old now, I would get up under there and check everything out before mounting them to make sure all is worthy of their use.

Keep on Moparing....
God Bless America...

Mike

Like most older folks I'm sure, I've used air shocks in my youth - to be honest, to help old, saggy shocks on cars usually so I could stuff big meats under there.
When I learned that air actually got forced into the opposite shock under hard cornering loads, I even separated the air lines and installed two air valves.
Hey, kids do things....
Here's the thing about any shocks, air or otherwise - they weren't ever intended to bear weight - that's the springs' job.
Shocks dampen suspension movement and that's it. That's the design intent and why their mounts are not as heavy as spring mounting points.
Springs bear the weight of the vehicle, by design.
'Nuff said.

Like has been said, bad idea. For those who doubt or don't subscribe to the reasoning to not use them well.... It doesn't take a genius to look at the shock mount and think hmmmm, that's pretty chinsy. Now if your the guy that putts around and babies your ride then you may get away with it but that crossmember slows (dampens) the movement of the suspension that is placed on the leafs, it doesn't cary the load and wasn't designed for it. Another way to look at it is this, how much are air shocks? It only cost me about $60 to have my springs re-arched which keeps everything as it should be.

Last edited:
Like has been said, bad idea. For those who doubt or don't subscribe to the reasoning to not use them well.... It doesn't take a genius to look at the shock mount and think hmmmm, that's pretty chinsy. Now if your the guy that putts around and babies your ride then you may get away with it but that crossmember slows (dampens) the movement of the suspension that is placed on the leafs, it doesn't cary the load and wasn't designed for it. Another way to look at it is this, how much are air shocks? It only cost me about $60 to have my springs re-arched which keeps everything as it should be.

i paid about $120 for air shocks so if i dont end up using them its not a huge loss. i dont track my car but I also dont drive it "easy". no cornering at speeds but i do like to punch it. re-arching, adding a leaf, or superstock springs are all options I would consider but if Im getting into that I think Superstock springs may just be my choice. hopefully that gives me the 2-3 inch lift i want. time to call Mancini!

Shocks were never designed to hold up a car, only to dampen and control the up and down movement of the axle on the springs.
I would never put air shocks on anything I cared about.

Find a shop that re- arches springs.

SS springs are made in Mexico and are junk. They will sag after a year or two.

Hope you read this before you order springs. I agree with all that's been said about aishocks. I put super stock springs on my 64 Sport Fury. Worst idea ever. First, these cars handle like boats anyway. Jacking up the rear only makes it worse. Then there's the fact that Super stock springs are made in Mexico. When I put them on, the car sat just as low as before. Then there's the front segment issue. SS springs have a 20 inch front spring segment, like an A body. To use them on a B body, you also need to buy front spring hangers for a B body with SS springs. They have a 22 inch front spring segment. The new front spring hanger has holes for the 22, and 20 inch front spring segment. The 64 Fury has a 21 inch front spring segment. There are no holes in the new bracket for 21 inch front spring segment. You have to buy a big drill bit to drill the front spring hanger in the right place, so the wheels will be in the stock location. The hanger is very thick, so it will take a long time. Re arching the stock springs is a bad idea. They are 53 years old. I've seen them snap in half. Do the job right. Call ESPO, or any other spring company you like, and have them make you a new set of springs with whatever rise over stock you want. Also consider that this changes pinion angle, ans and may cause vibration. Again, please do this job properly so it's a safe, fun car.

Air shocks exist to level a vehicle when carrying a load or trailer with tongue weight. They are not designed to 'jack-up' a vehicle. That is the job of the rear springs. As had been said (and shown on Zack's post) bad things can happen when you force a shock to do the spring's job. New springs, re-arched springs or even 'add-a-leaf' are way better options...
So when the car is loaded and you air up the shocks, it still puts pressure on shock crossmember. Do difference.

Most loads are " temporary " and the airshocks are there to assist the springs when that "overload" is present and deflated afterwards.

Most loads are " temporary " and the airshocks are there to assist the springs when that "overload" is present and deflated afterwards.

My Gabriel Highjackers paperwork states 'not' to run them without at least 'some' air in them. I keep them around 40 psi. Rides well and provides a nice stance (up about 1.5"). Not driving it daily (like it was in 60s & 70s), it will be fine.

Hope you read this before you order springs. I agree with all that's been said about aishocks. I put super stock springs on my 64 Sport Fury. Worst idea ever. First, these cars handle like boats anyway. Jacking up the rear only makes it worse. Then there's the fact that Super stock springs are made in Mexico. When I put them on, the car sat just as low as before. Then there's the front segment issue. SS springs have a 20 inch front spring segment, like an A body. To use them on a B body, you also need to buy front spring hangers for a B body with SS springs. They have a 22 inch front spring segment. The new front spring hanger has holes for the 22, and 20 inch front spring segment. The 64 Fury has a 21 inch front spring segment. There are no holes in the new bracket for 21 inch front spring segment. You have to buy a big drill bit to drill the front spring hanger in the right place, so the wheels will be in the stock location. The hanger is very thick, so it will take a long time. Re arching the stock springs is a bad idea. They are 53 years old. I've seen them snap in half. Do the job right. Call ESPO, or any other spring company you like, and have them make you a new set of springs with whatever rise over stock you want. Also consider that this changes pinion angle, ans and may cause vibration. Again, please do this job properly so it's a safe, fun car.

thanks for the advice, i never knew that these new SS springs were crap. overall it seems like all aftermarket alternatives are bad from what I read here.

I have a 1972 RR and it still had air shocks from way, way back in the day. I switched to gas shocks and put General Spring rear leafs with 2 1/2 lift to give my rear 295 50 15 tires some more clearance. The leafs are very nice, perfect fit and lift the rear just enough. But I'm not sure if General Spring makes 2 1/2 inch lift leaf springs for 64 Fury. If they do, I can definitely recommend them.

Auto Transport Service
Back