• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Shocks

RS16017

Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good part# for air shocks for a '67 Bellevedere.

Does anyone have a good part# for air shocks for a '67 Bellevedere.

You’ll find almost no one is a fan of air shocks on this forum if you use them for lift of the rear end. They will tell you the shock towers aren’t made to carry that load and will eventually break down. I put “add a leaf” from Summit Racing on my car in place of air shocks. They gave me the 2” of extra rake I was looking for and only cost $35. They’re partial leafs that you just bolt on to your leaf springs. Sorry I don’t have a part number for air shocks for you.

I know you here horror stories about air shocks.
Could have a problem only if shock connecting points a weak because of age.
Other than that I ran them for years on a 68 Roadrunner& so did all the other guys back
In 60's / 70's.
Now have a set on my 66 Satellite,bought from
Napa.

Thry are listed on rockauto.com as Monroe part number MA757.
I broke one going over railroad tracks in the mid 90s. Was using them on 1974 Chrysler Newport.
Definitely better offer of with helper springs, re-arched stock leaf springs, or new leaf springs.

Air shocks are not the way to alter ride height. Ever.
Shocks are not meant (meaning: designed/engineered) to handle weight at all.
Their purpose on any suspension is to dampen vertical movements of the suspension.
As such, Ma Mopar did NOT incorporate into their chassis design the provision for the shock mounting points
to bear actual vehicle weight.
Yes, all the teenagers ran 'em when we were young. They were cheap and easy and made the cars look "tough".
They also rode and handled like shiyat, too, especially if you didn't run individual air lines to each shock.
On top of all that, eventually even cars with the best of chassis conditions will get their upper shock mounts
"hammered"/distorted from air shock use.

Bottom line: You alter vehicle height with what is designed to bear the weight - springs.

How about running an air bag between the spring and frame? I have used a single bag on the right rear to preload on a coil spring car, Worked well. You can run 2 bags and plumb separatly the lines. Even on my Chevelle that came with a factory installed trailer tow package they are not recomended, they will pound the upper spring mounts and crack them.

Shocks are not meant (meaning: designed/engineered) to handle weight at all.
Their purpose on any suspension is to dampen vertical movements of the suspension.
As such, Ma Mopar did NOT incorporate into their chassis design the provision for the shock mounting points
to bear actual vehicle weight.
While this is true, even without bearing weight the shock mounts still have to absorb upward and downward loads that in effect still look the same as weight to the carrying part. Putting a shock onto a shock dyno can show hundreds of pounds of force exerted on the ends while traveling over road bumps and uneven surfaces. It only takes a couple hundred pounds of push from an air shock to make a difference in ride height, (divided by two shocks) and this could easily be compared to the extra loads that you'd get by putting on a set of extra firm conventional shocks.

I put Gabriel Highjackers on my '66 Belvedere II when I restored her. Think I bought themt thru AutoZone online. I like the ease of height adjustment and the ride is comfortable. It is not a racecar and I am not putting 10K+ miles a year on it, so I have no concerns. I agree with Johnpat & Photon440 on the air shocks.

From personal experience, I've used air shocks in several different cars since 1972, installed them in customers cars ( including station wagons ! ), and have known others with air shocks in their cars. And never, not once, have I've seen a shock mount break. Ever.

This pig had S/S springs, no snubber and airshocks, with separate lines to preload the suspension. Never broke a thing....and it seemed to work okay.

x4179f.jpg

From personal experience, I've used air shocks in several different cars since 1972, installed them in customers cars ( including station wagons ! ), and have known others with air shocks in their cars. And never, not once, have I've seen a shock mount break. Ever.
Me too......I've used them on all three of my Coronets....but, I don't pound on them...or corner....lol

Get underneath your car and have a look at the upper shock mount - touch it, feel it, wiggle it then use your head and figure out what's the right move.

Get underneath your car and have a look at the upper shock mount - touch it, feel it, wiggle it then use your head and figure out what's the right move.
......oh, I feel it. Car is very sensitive......but, no I'll make sure its tough

Auto Transport Service
Back