• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alaska

steve from staten island

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Thinking of doing the cruise there late summer early fall. Anyone done it lately and experiences, what ships was best. All experiences/ recommendations welcomed and of course thanks

Can't help you with a boat but It's beautiful there over the summer. I know a couple that chartered a boat and went fishing out there for a week for the past 30 years Salmon, Halibut and Cod. They are older now and are no longer going so I will be running out of fresh fish soon.. They would have it all vacuum packed, frozen and shipped back here Hundreds of pounds. The biggest difference they said it the amount of daylight. They stayed at the same place for years and actually had thier own curtains to put up on the windows so they could sleep easily as with-out them it was difficult with it being light out...

Maybe 4-5 years ago?
Carnival Cruise lines, can't remember the exact ship but can find it if need be. We flew in to Seattle, 7 day cruise, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, fjords, wow.
Well worth it, but don't wait til fall, in July it was in the 40'-50's on the water.
Do the train ride if possible- highly recommended

Took the cruise, some 15 years ago, to southeast Alaska (inside passage) and was really impressed. We took the Serenade of the Seas, did the train ride, whale watching boat tour, went to glacier and back to Vancouver. It was a great trip, but only saw a sliver of the state and swore we would return. We drove there with rv twice since then from Florida. Went just last year, determined to see the Kenai, after making the mistake of planing that drive on the Fourth of July weekend the first time.
IMG_5733 (4).JPG

Skagway White pass railroad on one of the stops.

Took the cruise, some 15 years ago, to southeast Alaska (inside passage) and was really impressed. We took the Serenade of the Seas, did the train ride, whale watching boat tour, went to glacier and back to Vancouver. It was a great trip, but only saw a sliver of the state and swore we would return. We drove there with rv twice since then from Florida. Went just last year, determined to see the Kenai, after making the mistake of planing that drive on the Fourth of July weekend the first time.
View attachment 688791
Is the 2nd car coming at you a Charger in the on-coming lane?

I love these threads. Southerners dream of the north, but northerners dream of the south.
People travel here from all over the world to see the northern lights. We live exactly under the aurora oval, so when they occur they are straight up, bright, and can fill the sky. Most people here don’t even notice them any more. I never get tired of them.

My Wife and friends did a 21 day Cruise, Train, Motor Coach tour. Went at the beginning of June. Weather was fantastic!
Princess has the package, and they own the territory. Inside passage cruise, Train starting in Anchorage, going to Denali
for one night. then back on train to??? Then Motor Coach through Alaska on the Alaskan Highway. Great scenery!
Took a lot of pic's, but most pic's don't do it justice afterwards. Can get more info if you like! Definitely a great trip!
We went twice after that. Big *** Mosquitoes that don't bite!
84 degrees in Ketchican. Juno was 75 at the Mendenhal Glacier.The railroad ride is the Alaskan Railway. Vista cars.

Is the 2nd car coming at you a Charger in the on-coming lane?
I believe so. I was (actually wife was)taking a couple pics of the traffic and saw him, I flashed high beams and he did as well.

Last edited:
I’m watcig this thread cause the wife and I want to do the same thing. I’ve heard from a number of people that Norwegian does a nice job on this cruise. Used to live in when I was 18. Just for one winter. Want to cruise it in style and show my wife the sights

RC, looked at the whole thread. We camped at a State Park not far from Talkeetna. It was real cloudy when we got there and the whole afternoon. I got up early the next morning and took a walk and there she was, about 40 miles away. I had to go back and wake up the rest of the crew.
DSCN3750 (3).JPG

I don't like structured travel so cruises are out. The plan is to some day go the north shore highway.
Can not believe anyone would drive it from Florida in 21 days and in a motorhome. When would you find time to see anything?

Auto Transport Service
Back