• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alignment Shop Recommendation Jackson Michigan Area

69 GeeTeeX

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
I have a friend who's looking for an alignment shop who can be trusted and has knowledge on how to align our old cars. The car has been restored back to original with all new front end parts, just needs to be aligned. He doesn't want to do it himself and prefers having it put on a rack and aligned.

Some shops are telling him the new machines don't have the old alignment specifications loaded into the computer to allow them to do the alignment? He does have the factory shop manual with specifications that maybe could be loaded into the computer?

Not sure if this is true or just B.S. because they're not interested?

All machines can have the specs manually entered into them.

I thought they could manually enter the specs.
So, most likely they're not interested or don't know how to align something where you can't just set the toe and let it go.

I thought they could manually enter the specs.
So, most likely they're not interested or don't know how to align something where you can't just set the toe and let it go.
Sounds about right. You need to ask the guys in your local car clubs. They will know a go to guy. I had my Charger done at the GM dealership. Guy there was well versed in all cars. I asked the service manager if I could talk to him. Explained what I had and asked if he was interested which he said yes. Right away I knew he was going to work.

Reds Frame Shop on M-59 in Hartland, or Harold’s Frame Shop in Novi both have old timers working there rust know old cars. I go to Reds because it’s close to my house, but I’ve been to Harold’s before also.

Reds Frame Shop on M-59 in Hartland, or Harold’s Frame Shop in Novi both have old timers working there rust know old cars. I go to Reds because it’s close to my house, but I’ve been to Harold’s before also.
Reds shop is gone. They retired a few years ago. They always did a great job for me sad to see them go. Last I knew Harolds was still around.

Hunter engineering machines have specs going back to the 50’s. If it is a domestic vehicle and 10000 were produced that year, the specs are there.
I may be able to find you a good shop if you get me your zip code, so I can find your local Hunter rep

Hunter engineering machines have specs going back to the 50’s. If it is a domestic vehicle and 10000 were produced that year, the specs are there.
I may be able to find you a good shop if you get me your zip code, so I can find your local Hunter rep

He's contacted several more shops in the area and has been told at least twice that the new alignment machines use sensors on all four wheels. The car is a 1968 roadrunner, their telling him they can't mount the sensors onto the rear tires because the rear quarter panels come down over the top of the tires and are in the way. Car is all stock, stock suspension, only exception is 15x8 rear wheels and 275-60 tires. Their telling him this over the phone without actually seeing the car.

I guess the new sensors either clamp onto the outside of the tire or clamp onto the outer edge of the wheel? They say even with the wheel mounted one the quarter panel is still in the way??

His zip code is 48118

He's contacted several more shops in the area and has been told at least twice that the new alignment machines use sensors on all four wheels. The car is a 1968 roadrunner, their telling him they can't mount the sensors onto the rear tires because the rear quarter panels come down over the top of the tires and are in the way. Car is all stock, stock suspension, only exception is 15x8 rear wheels and 275-60 tires. Their telling him this over the phone without actually seeing the car.

I guess the new sensors either clamp onto the outside of the tire or clamp onto the outer edge of the wheel? They say even with the wheel mounted one the quarter panel is still in the way??

His zip code is 48118
They did my 69 charger with 4 head sets and there were no problems. Is his car slammed to the ground? They can do a 2 head on the front. There is no guarantee on the wheel being straight when done.

236076737_4034744776634367_3079589382084710049_n.jpg

Kovachs Auto Service in Brighton, MI.
The address to Kovachs is

9964 Weber St

Brighton, MI 48116
Should ask for Kevin

I install, train, and repair alignment machines, tire changers, and wheel balancers for Hunter Engineering. I just talked to the service rep in the area. This is where he recommended.
Are you familiar with this shop?

They did my 69 charger with 4 head sets and there were no problems. Is his car slammed to the ground? They can do a 2 head on the front. There is no guarantee on the wheel being straight when done.

View attachment 1456101

No restored back to all stock suspension. Seems like all the shops in our area are super busy and short on help = just don't want to deal with something their not familiar with.

Nice Charger!

I install, train, and repair alignment machines, tire changers, and wheel balancers for Hunter Engineering. I just talked to the service rep in the area. This is where he recommended.
I'm not familiar with the shop but they are close to me.

I’m very familiar with Kovachs, I take Nellas van there regularly, and I’ve taken a few other vehicles there as well. Great people and great service.

I’m very familiar with Kovachs, I take Nellas van there regularly, and I’ve taken a few other vehicles there as well. Great people and great service.
Sounds good I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they can square up my Caravan.

Auto Transport Service
Back