• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All 4 Drum brakes locked up

62Fury

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
Yesterday, (pretty certain it was all 4) drum brakes were locked up. Think I drove it a bit with the parking brake engaged? So, I yanked and yanked on the parking brake cables and they somehow released, so I took it the parking brake locked up the brakes somehow? My solution: Never use the parking brake again until I can fix it.

Today: Took it for a drive and the brakes are locked up again! I didn't touch the parking brake. I could barely get it back into my garage due to tires squealing from lockup, UGH!
Any solutions here? Can I remove the parking brake cables from each drum somehow to alleviate this? Then adjust each drum brake accordingly? Or is this something else?
Thanks.

When it rains, it pours.

Single pot master? Try loosening the brake line going in and see if the brakes release.

First of all a parking brake will not lock up the front wheels. You need to jack it up and verify what wheels are dragging.

Are Self adjusters the cause. Rubber hoses deteriorating on inside not let brake fluid to return to MC?

Yesterday, (pretty certain it was all 4) drum brakes were locked up. Think I drove it a bit with the parking brake engaged? So, I yanked and yanked on the parking brake cables and they somehow released, so I took it the parking brake locked up the brakes somehow? My solution: Never use the parking brake again until I can fix it.

Today: Took it for a drive and the brakes are locked up again! I didn't touch the parking brake. I could barely get it back into my garage due to tires squealing from lockup, UGH!
Any solutions here? Can I remove the parking brake cables from each drum somehow to alleviate this? Then adjust each drum brake accordingly? Or is this something else?
Thanks.

When it rains, it pours.
If you have a single pot MC would not hurt to upgrade to dual circuit MC.

First of all a parking brake will not lock up the front wheels. You need to jack it up and verify what wheels are dragging.
Yeah, it’s the rear wheels. Thanks

Any chance the brake pedal isn't fully returning to the top of it's travel? As previously mentioned crack the line/lines loose at the M/C & see if the brakes release...

Thanks. I’ll look them over.
To test hoses, when rear brakes are locked crack a wheel cylinder bleeder a little. Let a little b fluid out may squirt them see brakes unlock. Don't hit brake pedal until you test to see if brakes are unlocked.

If it's only the rear brakes there could be several causes. It won't be a master cylinder issue. It won't be a brake pedal not returning. As both of these would affect the front brakes as well. Possible causes; The flex line to the axle is internally damaged not allowing fluid to return to the master. E brake cables siezed. Brake shoe material is detached and rotating in the drum on top of the other brake shoe. Removing the drums will tell the story. Unfortunately your screen name is 62 Plymouth. If that's the case and the car is stock it requires a special puller to remove the rear drums.
Doug

1964dodge440cleanup2023pt6 018.jpg

How does a car with rear wheel drive, and the parking brakes on the rear wheels, cause the tires to squeal from locking up? If the rears are locked, the tires can't slide, but the car won't move either....

Any chance the brake pedal isn't fully returning to the top of it's travel? As previously mentioned crack the line/lines loose at the M/C & see if the brakes release...
will check this, thank you

How does a car with rear wheel drive, and the parking brakes on the rear wheels, cause the tires to squeal from locking up? If the rears are locked, the tires can't slide, but the car won't move either....
It is the rear RH drive wheel, and when it seizes, it seizes completely causing the car to slide sideways in garage because it's not moving, and the LH rear tire is moving causing a sideways motion when accelerating. Then presto, change-o it just stops and un-seizes on its own and all's okay. Then drive it around the block and wham, bam it locks up again when backing into garage. Damn!!

Maybe the spider gears broken in the rear differential? I doubt that the brake has enough grip to seize a wheel locked up completely. Sounds like a problem in the rear end!

If it's one side locked pull the drum, see dadsbee post. Should've said that at the start.

If it's one side locked pull the drum, see dadsbee post. Should've said that at the start.
didn't realize it was only one side that was locked, still not positive because they lock wherever and whichever when they fail, believe the first time it was either both rears or all 4? Come on man.

If it's only the rear brakes there could be several causes. It won't be a master cylinder issue. It won't be a brake pedal not returning. As both of these would affect the front brakes as well. Possible causes; The flex line to the axle is internally damaged not allowing fluid to return to the master. E brake cables siezed. Brake shoe material is detached and rotating in the drum on top of the other brake shoe. Removing the drums will tell the story. Unfortunately your screen name is 62 Plymouth. If that's the case and the car is stock it requires a special puller to remove the rear drums.
Doug
thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back