• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost over? Or is it?

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
My 1996 Suburban. I drive it winters only here in NY. Rust and rot is going to retire this old girl likely very soon. Had it up in the air yesterday and noticed this. Inner frame on front passenger side.

Drive it? Retire it? I want to hear your guys thoughts.
0B5309BB-89BD-4F55-9C7D-407DF894C396.jpeg
9EDECBA1-8A51-425A-9401-419DE00F2A41.jpeg

I think I'd move some stuff out of the way
and start grinding. If it's rusted all the way
thru just on the one side you may be able
to fish plate it well enough for the fix to last,
if the web of the outer channel (on the inside
surface) shows very little to no rust.
I've fixed Jeep frames (boxed) in similar
states of rust thru.

Safe-T-Cap?

I wouldn't leave it alone - it is between the front and rear wheels where you will have a lot of force on it.

I agree with others above - put a patch on it. It can be ugly as heck; it just needs to be solid.

Good luck!

Drive until it drops. I about ran the floor jack stand through my rail. Been looking for a better truck for a couple months. Now is not the time to buy.

20220627_090649.jpg

20220627_090635.jpg

That's the brand name of frame repair sections.

I'd google- "saf t cap and the year and model of your truck" and see what comes up.

Drive until it drops. I about ran the floor jack stand through my rail. Been looking for a better truck for a couple months. Now is not the time to buy.

View attachment 1348523

View attachment 1348524
Scary how much you and I think like on this one. I'm sure when I show my wife that spot on the frame and reply to her like you just said she'll get a little bit freaky to say the least. I could use a little weld time anyway. Whether the weld is the solution or not, at least it'll look like the solution. :lol:

Those repair sections generally are made to sit on top of/around the frame.

IE- slightly larger. Not "sectioning", but overlapping. Makes it easier to weld.

Technically you're not allowed to "repair" frames by welding patches in New York.
But it's done frequently.
Of course it depends on the inspector and if they notice it or object to the repair.
Probably more lenient on a full sized truck style vehicle for example a 3/4 ton isn't subject to an emissions inspection.
I don't know how a suburban is classified? It is a 3/4 ton I think.
I've heard stories around here of the state sending in a car for an inspection and it has no gas cap.
Then the state official quickly pulls in and cites the inspector for not finding a missing gas cap.
Dirty pool...

Last edited:
You might have to grind a ways fore and aft to find good metal to weld to. That was done on my 2 wheel drive truck. It was a ugly patch.

Last edited:
Technically you're not allowed to "repair" frames by welding patches in New York.
But it's done frequently.
Of course it depends on the inspector and if they notice it or object to the repair.
Probably more lenient on a full sized truck style vehicle for example a 3/4 ton isn't subject to an emissions inspection.
I don't know how a suburban is classified? It is a 3/4 ton I think.
I've heard stories around here of the state sending in a car for an inspection and it has no gas cap.
Then the state official quickly pulls in and cites the inspector for not finding a missing gas cap.
Dirty pool...
Thanks Don. It's a 1500, 1/2 ton. As of 2021, NY exempts emissions inspections on at least (2) premises:
1) The vehicle is 25 years or older
2) The vehicle GVWR is 8500 or more (AKA 3/4 ton or larger - we know them as 2500, 250, etc)

However, this is the first I'm hearing of more leniency on the structural portion as you mentioned. Not too worried about inspection really. If I was the inspector, I'd fail it LOL.
I do know frame repairs are a no-no if noticed during inspection. But I think I'll tackle it anyway for the fun of it.

If I do drive it the full season, it's likely to be her last.

Thanks Don. It's a 1500, 1/2 ton. As of 2021, NY exempts emissions inspections on at least (2) premises:
1) The vehicle is 25 years or older
2) The vehicle GVWR is 8500 or more (AKA 3/4 ton or larger - we know them as 2500, 250, etc)

However, this is the first I'm hearing of more leniency on the structural portion as you mentioned. Not too worried about inspection really. If I was the inspector, I'd fail it LOL.
I do know frame repairs are a no-no if noticed during inspection. But I think I'll tackle it anyway for the fun of it.

If I do drive it the full season, it's likely to be her last.
I think it's 1995 or older not 25 years or older.
Pre ODBII

I would take a chipping hammer to it and see how easy it is to poke holes and knock all of it out. As long as one of those patches span the rot, it should be good enough and give you plenty of time while you watch for a different unit.

I think it's 1995 or older not 25 years or older.
Pre ODBII
Used to be pre 1996 as per OBD II introduction as you stated. Here's right out of the NYS webite:

"OBD II is a computer-based system installed in vehicles manufactured after 1996 that monitors the performance of a vehicle's powertrain (engine, transmission) and emission control systems..."

In 2021 it got changed from 1995 and older to 25 years and older...this is right out of the ny.gov book word for word:

"c) Vehicles older than 25 model years (for example, during calendar year 2021, vehicles model year 1996 and older are exempt from emissions testing).
d) Vehicles less than 2 model years old (for example, during calendar year 2021, model years 2020 and 2021 are exempt from emissions testing)

Most vehicles exempt from emissions testing are still subject to the annual safety inspection requirements."

I would take a chipping hammer to it and see how easy it is to poke holes and knock all of it out. As long as one of those patches span the rot, it should be good enough and give you plenty of time while you watch for a different unit.
I will definitely start by chipping away, no doubt. True test of what I actually have for structure...

That last line quoted seems to your vehicle is still subject to safety inspection.

Auto Transport Service
Back