• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AlterKtion ball joint issue

Darius

Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
This is NOT a slam on RMS!!! Just want to make sure you all know I am not on any kind of rant here.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?? I KNOW I tightened this down because I distinctly remember asking my buddy if he had a special socket or something I could use to do so. The car drove perfectly fine and did not pull or vibrate or give any clue something was wrong EXCEPT...one day after putting maybe 1000 miles on her I was backing out of my driveway turning right and as the wheel went down the curb the tire grabbed the bottom of the front edge of the fender, pulling it up and distorting it. I could not understand what was up because there had been no problem up to that point. I drove on another 700 miles including the whole week at Reno and if I backed up that way it would rub but no other indications of problems.
We put it on the lift today and found this!!

Ball joint issue.jpg

Darius, I like to put about a 3/4"weld at 2 places that I can grind off if necessary to replace joint sometime. good luck

Does it screw in? I would think that the taper between the spindle and the ball joint would keep it from coming loose? I don't understand how that can happen, but I've never looked at an RMS front K in person.

I would contact Bill (Owner) at RMS. He is a great guy and builds quality product. I believe that he would be able to help you correct the situation.

Thanks
James

Wow, I've got tubular upper arms as well although not the RMS ones but I beleive they're the same ball joint. I'll have to keep an eye on that! Red loctite?

I don't know. I've heard for years of problems with Mopar upper balls. I don't think the original A arms were actually threaded, more like "self" threading. Frankly, I'd just be tempted to weld a short bead or two around it and let it go. Take precautions for cooling the assembly, "don't overheat"

I've beat mine to death for over 5 years and have never had that issue. I'm guessing you thought you tightened it! My only question is the angle of the ball joints. It seems everyone puts them at the factory angle but did the factory put them at that angle by design or just due to the fact that the factory uses a stamped steel A arm? Wouldn't it be better at less of an angle at ride height?

As an aircraft tech............I am prone to making sure everything is tight...several times...........and even adding safety wire or cotter pins to stuff.

Could be I just missed torquing that one. I just pounded the hell out of it last weekend and it stayed tight after it was ratcheted back on.
Those angles are what RMS suggested plus or minus what the alignment shop made. That car tracks straighter than any car I've owned!

I was referring to the angle of the ball joint as it's welded into the A-arm.

Auto Transport Service
Back