alternator bracket bolt size

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. ksurfer2

ksurfer2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:25 PM
    OK, this seemed like it would be a easy job, replace the alternator on my 440. Picked up a replacement last night from Napa, started install after lunch today, figure it would be an hour job, tops. Everything went on fine until I attempted to install the tension bracket. The 5/16 X 18 bolt that was in the alternator that I took off was a smidge too small. I tried a different bolt (same size), same issue. I brought the alternator back to Napa thinking the holes may have been stripped and swapped it out for a different one. New alternator, same problem. Tried a metric bolt that was a teeny bit bigger, still not big enough to tighten properly. Next size bigger bolt in both standard and metric are too big. Before I helicoil, is there a special bolt that I should be using? Nothing came with the alternator.

2. beanhead

beanhead Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:25 PM
    Soft aluminum housing. My 'Napa' replacement alternator stripped as well, before I got the bolt close to tight. Drilled and tapped it to 3/8 no problem..I tightened the top bolt real good and then went reeal slow on that bottom bolt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • PurpleBeeper

PurpleBeeper Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      9:25 PM
      Poor quality manufacturing. There is no "special bolt". Guessing metric was a good idea though.

• 5.7 hemi

5.7 hemi FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      9:25 PM
      Put a heli-coil in it and never worry about it again.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • ksurfer2

ksurfer2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        10:25 PM
        Yup, that is what I did. Problem solved. Just surprised me that both tension bracket holes on two different alternators were f-ed up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.