• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Gauge

Armycopter

Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been answered before but I can’t find it. What is the alternator gauge supposed to read? Mine is negative for some reason. 1969 Charger. Thank you.

FDEA76DA-1380-4259-994B-648335141458.jpeg

Static...with ignition off or running? Door open.. dome light on.. car not running.. tell us more..

I see you have oil pressure.. so I assume running. My Superbird gauge is a hair on the negative side, which if you want to tear the panel apart can be adjusted., but I just note where it is static.

Push the brake pedal.. does it go more negative?? Maybe it's not even hooked up?

Ok, sorry, this pic was driving down the road at about 40 mph. Doors closed, dome light off LOL

Edited my post... read again.. If you have a good battery, it's fully charged and everything is working the way it should... it should ideally read ZERO.

Thanks, yes it is hooked up. I will have to check the brake pedal. Are these supposed to be reading zero normally? The car does have a modern alternator maybe that has something to do with it. I am familiar with voltmeters and their proper readings but not ammeters.

It shows whether the alternator is putting power into the battery or load is draining the battery. Car ignition off, open the door and watch the gauge.. put your foot on the brake. watch the gauge.. turn on the lights.. watch the gauge and it should keep going further negative. If it doesn't move.. someone bypassed it.

Ok, sorry, this pic was driving down the road at about 40 mph. Doors closed, dome light off LOL
If you were going down the road 40mph, your gauge should be showing on the + side of zero. if the alternator and regulator are working properly. Since yours is showing a little on the minus side, you are not getting a charge. Either your alternator is bad, Regulator is bad or you have a loose or broken wire somewhere. Quite possibly the firewall plug. I would start with a different regulator.

You couldn’t find any ammeter discussions here? That’s strange, there seems to be continuous stream of posts about ammeters. The ammeter in this application is designed to show the real time battery charge or discharge status and rate. On a healthy original charging system, fully charged battery, and no additional loads connected at the battery, the ammeter should show 0 while the engine is running at speed and the alternator is keeping up with vehicle loads.

Unfortunately I don’t know the specs on it. The previous owner told me he replaced it a couple of years ago and it is kind of a polished aluminum looking. I said modern because it doesn’t look like anything that came out of 1969. I will try to find out more info.

You couldn’t find any ammeter discussions here? That’s strange, there seems to be continuous stream of posts about ammeters. The ammeter in this application is designed to show the real time battery charge or discharge status and rate. On a healthy original charging system, fully charged battery, and no additional loads connected at the battery, the ammeter should show 0 while the engine is running at speed and the alternator is keeping up with vehicle loads.

Still trying to figure out the search functions. Thank you for your post, that does help me. I was thinking it should be up somewhere near +10 which clearly is not the case. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back