• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Not Charging

ksurfer2

Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I used the Doty bracket to relocate my alternator to a low mount position and installed an electric water pump. This eliminated the water pump pulley. I currently have a 5.5" crank pulley, and a 2.75" alternator pully. I am now getting no charge out of the alternator...even when revving the engine up past 2500rpm there is still no charge. This is a 1 wire alternator. Everything worked fine before I moved it, now no charge. Is the issue in the size of the pulleys, or something with the alternator? Does it need another ground now for some reason? I am puzzled....nothing changed other than moving the alternator. Below are some pics I took before I moved the alternator just as a reference.

alternator 1.jpg
alternator 2.jpg
alternator 3.jpg

I’ve never had this happen to me but checking ground would be a good start and double check every related connection in the circuit. Please let us know when to get it figured out. Best of luck to you!

1) Is the alternator completely wired up?
2) Did a wire break while moving the alternator?
3) The internal regulator accidentally get damaged while moving it?

Check for 12 volts at the alternator stud. You might of grounded it and poked the fuse link out.

Installing the ground shown in this pic solved the problem. Now charging at 14+ volts.

0410221241.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back