• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator rebuilding

pjm8047

Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced the original alternator On my 71 rr with High out powermaster alternator. I believe the alternator still works just needs bearings and a repaint i was thinking of rebuilding it to sale because i see resorted alternators on ebay for $300. Would it be worth it?

If you do it right. DONT PAINT IT blast the housing and then test it. Really no one around any more that does it and date code can be a big plus.

I wish i had a sand blaster. Theres a guy i called that rebuilds starters and alternators he quoted me $100.

Yeah ill probably just leave it as is. Thanks

If you want an estimate on it's value and/or having it professionally rebuilt you could check with a good guy named Jim Ridge who is here.....http://www.rpmrestorationparts.com

He knows his stuff and does great work. Don't expect something for nothing, but you'll get a quality rebuild from him in a decent timeframe if that's the way you decide to go.

Give MJ electric in Milwaukee Wisconsin a call -- the place does top notch work very reasonable. It will look and work like new

I wish i had a sand blaster. Theres a guy i called that rebuilds starters and alternators he quoted me $100.
If you want the alternator to be worth anything, either for a future restoration of the car or to sell, don't sand blast the case halves it will ruin them. The only reason that these things are worth any kind of money, or as a correct piece for a car, is due to the numbers that are cast into them or stamped on them, sandblasting will ruin those numbers. If you decide to rebuild it then go ahead and sandblast it and rebuild it but, it will be worth less than any other rebuilt alternator from the parts store as it will be the same thing only without the warranty. Now if you decide to restore it, there is a difference from rebuilding it, then have the parts vapor honed, that will clean everything as good as sandblasting but it will leave the detail that you need for a proper restoration. Dixie Restorations, at the link that Sixpaksteve put up, does amazing work and it will be perfect when they're done, a basic restoration runs $325.00 if I remember correctly. Plum Crazy Garage does incredible work also. Just some things to think about.

List it if it is 71 date coded some one will want it for a restoration I bet.

having the puller and a press ( bench press uses to be quite enough ), replace bearings is a piece of cake and straight up job. I haven't used a bench, but a pipe and hammer to install the new bearings LOL ( made it gently of course ).

70/71 alternators use to be really special because they are dual field round back. Not the regular or common replacement alternator you'll find at shops.

If you want the alternator to be worth anything, either for a future restoration of the car or to sell, don't sand blast the case halves it will ruin them. The only reason that these things are worth any kind of money, or as a correct piece for a car, is due to the numbers that are cast into them or stamped on them, sandblasting will ruin those numbers. If you decide to rebuild it then go ahead and sandblast it and rebuild it but, it will be worth less than any other rebuilt alternator from the parts store as it will be the same thing only without the warranty. Now if you decide to restore it, there is a difference from rebuilding it, then have the parts vapor honed, that will clean everything as good as sandblasting but it will leave the detail that you need for a proper restoration. Dixie Restorations, at the link that Sixpaksteve put up, does amazing work and it will be perfect when they're done, a basic restoration runs $325.00 if I remember correctly. Plum Crazy Garage does incredible work also. Just some things to think about.
Dixie did mine, can't imagine it could be anymore authentic looking then how they did it. It doesn't look like a restored alternator, it looks like a brand new 1967 one.

A few years ago I replaced the original alternator On my 71 rr with High out powermaster alternator. I believe the alternator still works just needs bearings and a repaint i was thinking of rebuilding it to sale because i see resorted alternators on ebay for $300. Would it be worth it?
What alternator is it, what's the part number on it?

Auto Transport Service
Back