Alternator rebuilding

Electrical & Ignition

1. pjm8047

pjm8047 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:22 AM
    A few years ago I replaced the original alternator On my 71 rr with High out powermaster alternator. I believe the alternator still works just needs bearings and a repaint i was thinking of rebuilding it to sale because i see resorted alternators on ebay for $300. Would it be worth it?

2. HALIFAXHOPS

HALIFAXHOPS hops farmer and MOPAR only distributor rebuilder! FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    If you do it right. DONT PAINT IT blast the housing and then test it. Really no one around any more that does it and date code can be a big plus.

3. pjm8047

Local Time:
    I wish i had a sand blaster. Theres a guy i called that rebuilds starters and alternators he quoted me $100.

4. WP29440SE

WP29440SE Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:22 AM
    if you try to sale it , it'll probably just sink.
    i mean sail it

• Like Like x 1
    • pjm8047

Local Time:
      Yeah ill probably just leave it as is. Thanks

• Sixpaksteve

Sixpaksteve FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      If you want an estimate on it's value and/or having it professionally rebuilt you could check with a good guy named Jim Ridge who is here.....http://www.rpmrestorationparts.com

He knows his stuff and does great work. Don't expect something for nothing, but you'll get a quality rebuild from him in a decent timeframe if that's the way you decide to go.

• Bill76

Bill76 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      9:22 AM
      Give MJ electric in Milwaukee Wisconsin a call -- the place does top notch work very reasonable. It will look and work like new

• Geetex

Geetex Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      If you want the alternator to be worth anything, either for a future restoration of the car or to sell, don't sand blast the case halves it will ruin them. The only reason that these things are worth any kind of money, or as a correct piece for a car, is due to the numbers that are cast into them or stamped on them, sandblasting will ruin those numbers. If you decide to rebuild it then go ahead and sandblast it and rebuild it but, it will be worth less than any other rebuilt alternator from the parts store as it will be the same thing only without the warranty. Now if you decide to restore it, there is a difference from rebuilding it, then have the parts vapor honed, that will clean everything as good as sandblasting but it will leave the detail that you need for a proper restoration. Dixie Restorations, at the link that Sixpaksteve put up, does amazing work and it will be perfect when they're done, a basic restoration runs $325.00 if I remember correctly. Plum Crazy Garage does incredible work also. Just some things to think about.

• HALIFAXHOPS

HALIFAXHOPS hops farmer and MOPAR only distributor rebuilder! FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      List it if it is 71 date coded some one will want it for a restoration I bet.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Nacho-RT74

Nacho-RT74 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        having the puller and a press ( bench press uses to be quite enough ), replace bearings is a piece of cake and straight up job. I haven't used a bench, but a pipe and hammer to install the new bearings LOL ( made it gently of course ).

70/71 alternators use to be really special because they are dual field round back. Not the regular or common replacement alternator you'll find at shops.

• Officer Higgins

Officer Higgins Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      • Officer Higgins

Officer Higgins Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Dixie did mine, can't imagine it could be anymore authentic looking then how they did it. It doesn't look like a restored alternator, it looks like a brand new 1967 one.

• Geetex

Geetex Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        What alternator is it, what's the part number on it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.