• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator spacer length

dadeo

Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
For big block what is the spacer length between the alternator and cylinder head on the upper long bolt for a non-ac car? Is it 1.25" or ? Getting belt squealing when I rev.

On my 67 big block it is 1.54 inch's
But I am not sure it is the right alternator for the car

As long as the belt is straight you have right size spacer. Squealing is usually the belt slipping, when Alternator is under a load, usually after a start or reving in neutral. My alternator is approx. 11/4 from head. Make sure belt is tight and not glazed from slipping on pulley.

Don't over look worn pulleys either. I had a customers Chevy years ago that would not stop squealing until I put new pulleys on the engine.
Mike

Make sure belt is wide enough , it should not touch the bottom of the pulley.

Thanks for the tips. Bible says 1.25" but I measure mine at 1.50" and pulleys look really close to inline but angled so that's why I asked.

Tried a 1.25" spacer and pulleys are not aligned so I put the 1.50" back in and snugged the belt tighter - thanks for the input.

So far no squeal but you know how that goes. Again, only when revving in neutral before and I'm not a fan of overtightening the belt.

Auto Transport Service
Back